Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Yet another manufacturing mouthpiece yammering on about the protective qualities of an afci, while failing to inform us of how they specifically work to do so.....:rolleyes: this really is getting to be our trades global warming issue .

~CS~

·
Estwing magic
26,311 Posts
This guy doesn't think so. I wonder why? Maybe because Eaton doesn't make the receptacles!:whistling2:

Cooper Wiring Devices does but I don't think they market it yet because of the lack of protection upstream of the device. Or maybe they're fighting it because they don't want Leviton taking away their breaker business.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
If the AFCI really works and if ~40% of the faults that they are expected to catch are in the fixed building wiring (from the original proposals to require AFCIs), then the receptacle AFCI removes protection from a section of the fixed building wiring, so he would be correct.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I would feel perfectly safe with a 1972 Slater receptacle feeding a space heater on old #14 TW wire circuit protected by a FPE breaker. As long as the side screw terminals are used.

Reactions: TOOL_5150

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
On a serious note, I roughed in a small sunroom addition from a local circuit. Now I'm having a hardtime finding this infertile device in any local supplyhouse. No one stocks them yet around here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Shockdoc said:
On a serious note, I roughed in a small sunroom addition from a local circuit. Now I'm having a hardtime finding this infertile device in any local supplyhouse. No one stocks them yet around here.
My supply house stocks Leviton AFCI receptacles here near Charlotte....

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
If the AFCI really works and if ~40% of the faults that they are expected to catch are in the fixed building wiring (from the original proposals to require AFCIs), then the receptacle AFCI removes protection from a section of the fixed building wiring, so he would be correct.
So is the receptacle arc fault method miss out in protecting the home run and maybe breaker panel?

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
So is the receptacle arc fault method miss out in protecting the home run and maybe breaker panel?
In theory the receptacle AFCI can provide series arc fault protection between the source and the device. It cannot provide parallel arc fault protection between the source and the device.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
In theory the receptacle AFCI can provide series arc fault protection between the source and the device. It cannot provide parallel arc fault protection between the source and the device.
so where do you locate the device in relationship to the daisy chain? ( first receptacle in line, last one in line, anywhere in the circuit?)

·
Registered
Electrician
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so where do you locate the device in relationship to the daisy chain? ( first receptacle in line, last one in line, anywhere in the circuit?)
Actually, the code says the first outlet on the circuit.
Which could be a lighting outlet.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts