Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Estwing magic
26,744 Posts
An AFCI receptacle doesn't protect the conductor upstream of the device. No provision here in the Canadian Electrical Code to allow for its use. I don't know about the NEC.

·
Can't Remember
10,431 Posts
Looks like the Leviton one will protect upstream wiring. Trying to understand where this will be advantageous to use. Swap in a breaker, done. Since we have a lot of Zinsco and FPE in the housing units I work on, is this where I would use this. Thought you had to protect all the way from the panel.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/SectionDisplay.jsp?section=55015&minisite=10251

Get them at big orange if you like:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...KW/204290242?keyword=Leviton+afci+receptacle#

·
Registered
3,838 Posts

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The upstream protection is only from a series arc, it cannot provide upstream protection from a parallel arc. Given the installation requirements for AFCI receptacles, it is not very likely that you would ever have an upstream series arc.
I thought it was the other way around - AFCI's cannot detect a series arc aka glowing connection.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,701 Posts
It tells me what I was saying all along. Arc fault breakers would trip for arcs that are upstream of the building they are located in. But nobody wanted to pay for the extensive troubleshooting that led to that conclusion.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I havent seen any, nor anywhere they have been required. I have heard they have been plagued with nuisance triping just like the breakes. Most H.O.s are returning them to the store after inspection. I was in big orange the other day and their were 10 packs of breakers on the rack and all were sliced open, taped closed and returned.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
I havent seen any, nor anywhere they have been required. I have heard they have been plagued with nuisance triping just like the breakes. Most H.O.s are returning them to the store after inspection. I was in big orange the other day and their were 10 packs of breakers on the rack and all were sliced open, taped closed and returned.

:laughing: That's AFCI technology. 15 years latter and there still tripping on appliances.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts