Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys wiring with AFCI receptacles now instead of breakers?

A guy I know is doing it on his latest house, but I told him I didn't think code actually allowed for them in the wording of the code. He says they're CSA, so it's good to go. :blink:

Made me curious if any of you guys have been doing it? Big price difference $25 vs $70!

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Not sure I really like the idea of having places that potentially need reset distributed like that. GFCI receptacles are confusing enough for people, and they've been around since the 70's. Keep everything in the panel box. Keep it simple.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope. No arc fault protection between the panel and the device. No provision in the CEC to allow for it.
Hey man! How's it going, barely saw you in here with all the 'Muricans! :gunsmilie:

That' what I thought too.. I'd dig up the code reference and pass it on to him, but he was so sure about it, I now want to see him get caught on it, so I can have that dìckhead TOLJA SOOOO moment. :laughing:

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
Hey man! How's it going, barely saw you in here with all the 'Muricans! :gunsmilie:

That' what I thought too.. I'd dig up the code reference and pass it on to him, but he was so sure about it, I now want to see him get caught on it, so I can have that dìckhead TOLJA SOOOO moment. :laughing:
I assume that a CSA sticker on the device means that it performs the function it was designed for. It then becomes another function of CSA to write a rule to allow for its use. That will come in the next code cycle and will probably follow the US example of EMT, or possibly AC90, from the panel to the device.

In other words, a very successful lobby by the breaker manufacturers to keep Leviton out of the AFCI business...

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts

You won't find a code reference because it doesn't exist. No mention of AFCI receptacles in the current code.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CEC:
26-722(f) branch circuits that supply receptacles installed in sleeping facilities of a dwelling unit shall be protected by an arc-fault circuit interrupter
CEC Handbook:
Item (f) requires that all branch circuits supplying receptacles located in bedrooms or sleeping areas of dwelling units be protected by an arc-fault circuit interrupter (AFCI).
Definitely specifies the branch circuit... I'd almost argue that means you could put a AFCI receptacle outside the bedroom to protect the circuit that goes into the bedroom.. but if you put the AFCI receptacle in the bedroom, what about the line side of the branch circuit, it's not protected.

·
Estwing magic
27,536 Posts
CEC:

CEC Handbook:

Definitely specifies the branch circuit... I'd almost argue that means you could put a AFCI receptacle outside the bedroom to protect the circuit that goes into the bedroom.. but if you put the AFCI receptacle in the bedroom, what about the line side of the branch circuit, it's not protected.
I spoke with an inspector and he wouldn't even allow me to put an AFCI receptacle beside the panel. I ended up putting in a small sub and an AFCI breaker. Wasn't bad because the panel was virtually full anyway.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I spoke with an inspector and he wouldn't even allow me to put an AFCI receptacle beside the panel. I ended up putting in a small sub and an AFCI breaker. Wasn't bad because the panel was virtually full anyway.
That's pretty crazy, but you do need a building permit to put in a pot light. :whistling2:

Can't win on these AFCI rules.. I'm really hoping they don't expand the coverage areas in the 2015 CEC.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.