Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Trying to wrap up a job and the AFCIs are all tripping when I plug something in.

I have 2- 20 amp dedicated bathroom circuits and
1-15 amp for lighting.

Sq D homeline panel

This is my first time working with this contractor and not sure if they hit my wires or I'm missing something else.

The circuits hold on a regular breaker.

Thanks!!!

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Check to see if you have neutrals and grounds touching somewhere in the branch circuit(s).

Pete

Reactions: Hippie

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Megger the circuits. Check that the hots, neutrals are only for that circuit the breaker protects (no crossing of hots or neutrals from other circuits). Check that no hot to ground or neutral to ground shorts exist.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
Stuff does happen. i had one that wouldn't hold on any breaker for some reason.

It is odd that all three won't hold. Check everything out in the panel. Correct N's landed on the breakers etc. (not that i have ever done that.:whistling2:)

Also, it could be whatever you are plugging in, like a bad cord or sump'n.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Megger the circuits. Check that the hots, neutrals are only for that circuit the breaker protects (no crossing of hots or neutrals from other circuits). Check that no hot to ground or neutral to ground shorts exist.

Okay thanks!!!

The circuits are dedicated. Sorry I should have state that.

I plugged in a battery charger that works on existing circuits and then the lights are basic halo cans.

·
Registered
268 Posts
test with a continuity tester to see if the neutral and ground are shorted together , it might have a screw through it. Circuit would still hold with a standard breaker. Dont forget to remove the neutrals from the terminal bar at the panel when testing

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Stuff does happen. i had one that wouldn't hold on any breaker for some reason.

It is odd that all three won't hold. Check everything out in the panel. Correct N's landed on the breakers etc. (not that i have ever done that.:whistling2:)

Also, it could be whatever you are plugging in, like a bad cord or sump'n.
If I could photo shop that box blue I would then repaste it under 'FIFY' or 'found your problem' and have my moment. But cant:mad: 480, I need you photo shop skills!!!:(

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Could be something arcing on the line side of the panel too. Just had an afci give me a fit (only one in the house), swapped breaker, megged the circuit, checked with my Siemens arc detect tool, checked connections and everything was looking good. Turns out the utility transformer had a bad connection internally. He also had random flickering power. Afci has no idea if the arcing is on the line or load side.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Could be something arcing on the line side of the panel too. Just had an afci give me a fit (only one in the house), swapped breaker, megged the circuit, checked with my Siemens arc detect tool, checked connections and everything was looking good. Turns out the utility transformer had a bad connection internally. He also had random flickering power. Afci has no idea if the arcing is on the line or load side.
Very true. One more reason they don't belong in the NEC yet. Can you imagine coming home to a fridge with $500 worth of spoiled food because your neighbor has a defective garage door opener or a car hits a utility pole on the other side of town? :censored:

·
Yeah Toast!!
1,270 Posts
Could be something arcing on the line side of the panel too. Just had an afci give me a fit (only one in the house), swapped breaker, megged the circuit, checked with my Siemens arc detect tool, checked connections and everything was looking good. Turns out the utility transformer had a bad connection internally. He also had random flickering power. Afci has no idea if the arcing is on the line or load side.[/QUOTE]

This doesn't seem right. You think that maybe the "flickering power" caused the AFCI to open?

·
Registered
25 Posts
While it is great that the afci's alerted you to the damage to your wiring, Why did you, or is it your practice to use them on bathroom circuits? While the 2014 NEC has added them for use in Kitchens, It seems they are still not required for dwelling bathrooms. Just curious and or concerned I missed something.Thanks,,Brian

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
While it is great that the afci's alerted you to the damage to your wiring, Why did you, or is it your practice to use them on bathroom circuits? While the 2014 NEC has added them for use in Kitchens, It seems they are still not required for dwelling bathrooms. Just curious and or concerned I missed something.Thanks,,Brian

You are correct I did not need them on the bathroom circuits but the HO read all about them online and requested I use them.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Could be something arcing on the line side of the panel too. Just had an afci give me a fit (only one in the house), swapped breaker, megged the circuit, checked with my Siemens arc detect tool, checked connections and everything was looking good. Turns out the utility transformer had a bad connection internally. He also had random flickering power. Afci has no idea if the arcing is on the line or load side.[/QUOTE]

This doesn't seem right. You think that maybe the "flickering power" caused the AFCI to open?
Well how does a standard AFCI know arcing is on one side not the other?

·
Registered
707 Posts
meadow said:
Very true. One more reason they don't belong in the NEC yet. Can you imagine coming home to a fridge with $500 worth of spoiled food because your neighbor has a defective garage door opener or a car hits a utility pole on the other side of town? :censored:
Explain how it can sense arcing before the breaker itself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.