Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im usually throwing stuff into a dumpster or sweeping floors by the time the inspectors show up. (I keep telling myself that will change with time :rolleyes:

Well my uncle got a service change last week and now is waiting on the inspection. He asked me what to expect and I am not sure what to tell him other than cross your finger!! lol.

What usually occurs during an inspection of a new service?

I know the service and install guys are long gone before they occur here... does the EC usually send someone to meet with the inspector?

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
We always try to have someone onsite to meet with inspectors. If he sees anything he doesn't like, it's a lot easier for us to repair it right then and there and avoid a deficiency.

As for what you can expect, well he's probably going to look at the work done, somewhat thoroughly. If he doesn't like what he sees, he will let you know, and you'll have to prove him wrong or fix it.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
As jza said, The inspector will look at the work performed, determine if it meets the minimum requirements of the adopted NEC in your area and either write an approved tag or a rejection.

If it is the latter, ask for code references.

Pete

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
It's sort of a pity AHJ's a regulated to such droll black & white status Pete

I mean, c'mon....you lot see anything from 2 star 'minimum' to 5 star 'good enough to serve din din off' installs

I say you're all empowered to rate us like they do restaurants

~CS~

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
It's sort of a pity AHJ's a regulated to such droll black & white status Pete

I mean, c'mon....you lot see anything from 2 star 'minimum' to 5 star 'good enough to serve din din off' installs

I say you're all empowered to rate us like they do restaurants

~CS~
Believe me.. I only wish I could inspect to my standards. Unfortunately, no one has published an adoptable book of them yet.:(

Pete

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Believe me.. I only wish I could inspect to my standards. Unfortunately, no one has published an adoptable book of them yet.:(

Pete
Well you might want to think about forgoing a publisher , for your own circle of influence Pete

Fwiw, i'm on my 3rd AHJ regime change now, they get the state job late in their careers , then ride it out to retirement, go them!

Most are older dogs that have seen it all in the trade, and so like anyone else they have their druthers about certain things

So this is the deal i've forwarded to all of them....

I'll do it their way , IF i can sell it (and i'll make every effort do do so)

I find this often cuts to the chase effectively

~CS~

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Well you might want to think about forgoing a publisher , for your own circle of influence Pete

Fwiw, i'm on my 3rd AHJ regime change now, they get the state job late in their careers , then ride it out to retirement, go them!

Most are older dogs that have seen it all in the trade, and so like anyone else they have their druthers about certain things

So this is the deal i've forwarded to all of them....

I'll do it their way , IF i can sell it (and i'll make every effort do do so)

I find this often cuts to the chase effectively

~CS~
Believe me.. I have my "druthers" too. Unfortunately around my little slice of heaven the contractors are savvy enough to call BS on my "druthers".

I really think it should be that way everywhere. The "good book" is convoluted enough as it stands... no real need for personal opinion to get in the way.

Pete

Reactions: Hmacanada

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,311 Posts
It's not a problem Steven, just do it right next time........:thumbsup:

Most local inspectors I run into just want to hurry up and get back to whatever hole they were putting last before they had to come look at my job. Some go around so fast I get dizzy watching them. Others though, you think they are never going to leave. Oh well, it beats washing dishes.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
99cents said:
Depends on the inspector. The best ones talk about the hockey game and then give you a green sticker :) .
Hey 99 , do you guys have the resi ACP program out there?
Just has my revoked , not because of defects!
We have been doing a lot of agricultural work on farms and such, as well as other non electrical work.
And because we didn't take out enough residential permits we were disqualified from the program .
BS .
We pay to be in this list!
The other permits we took out don't count because they aren't residential .
Any thoughts?

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
It's not a problem Steven, just do it right next time........:thumbsup:
yes ....well....there's always hope the mighty ET contingent can get my beak outta my butt Mac....:rolleyes:

Most local inspectors I run into just want to hurry up and get back to whatever hole they were putting last before they had to come look at my job. Some go around so fast I get dizzy watching them. Others though, you think they are never going to leave. Oh well, it beats washing dishes.
I've dealt with all sorts. The best of them cite code ref's in writing to me, and in turn allow me to have a rebuttal of their findings

That said, i don't find that many are really granted the time to inspect the way they'd like to. Their dept's seem undermanned, and they'll often inform me of some 50-70 mile radius and XXX stops in ONE day

~CS~

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So how long after completed work does it usually take to get these guys out to inspect? Uncles work was completed but now is being told to wait for them to call that it could be days before an inspection....

kinda like the guy is being punished for doing the right thing...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In the area I was referring I know the answer now... it takes one business day for the guy to come thru and take a passing glance, 3 minutes at best, and then give a green ticket.....

Perhaps my uncle and I overthought the whole process?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Knowing there is an inspection seems to give people a reason to try a bit harder to do it to code so it seems to have at least that benefit.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Im usually throwing stuff into a dumpster or sweeping floors by the time the inspectors show up. (I keep telling myself that will change with time :rolleyes:

Well my uncle got a service change last week and now is waiting on the inspection. He asked me what to expect and I am not sure what to tell him other than cross your finger!! lol.

What usually occurs during an inspection of a new service?

I know the service and install guys are long gone before they occur here... does the EC usually send someone to meet with the inspector?

Usually, and in my experience, it's been the inspector who comes and tries to prove to you how great he is and how much of an expert he is at being not only an electrician, but an electrical inspector as well. They should just interpret the NEC and pass or fail based on that.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
As jza said, The inspector will look at the work performed, determine if it meets the minimum requirements of the adopted NEC in your area and either write an approved tag or a rejection.

If it is the latter, ask for code references.

Pete
I've asked for code references and most of them tell me, "it's in there."

So I say, "where? Please quote me a code article."

I try to give them an out because at the end of the day I just want to move on to the next job and I don't want the EI to have a grudge with me or my business. It's simple really. Show them respect, and they'll show you respect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.