Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A poultry barn is installing gas heaters that are direct-vented so need to interlock with the exhaust fan (to shut down the heater if the exhaust quits). The farm equipment guy handed me a micro switch (like attached) with a paddle, from a heater or something to put in the exhaust fan...but didn't know about a box/mount - screw it to a bracket...

Im wondering if there is something more "proper" for this application, like an air proving switch (like the static pressure ones with an air tube) or paddle switch that's suitable for mounting inside the exhaust hood (this is poultry so the environment isn't the best....)

Or should I just screw this switch inside the hood and wing in some open wiring and hope it lasts till Im not around? :whistling2:

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Get a proper sail switch with an enclosure and do not wire it like you are a farmer too. you are about to blow up a building and create a lot of dead chickens otherwise and they will look for the fool who made an open connection.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
A poultry barn is installing gas heaters that are direct-vented so need to interlock with the exhaust fan (to shut down the heater if the exhaust quits). The farm equipment guy handed me a micro switch (like attached) with a paddle, from a heater or something to put in the exhaust fan...but didn't know about a box/mount - screw it to a bracket...

Im wondering if there is something more "proper" for this application, like an air proving switch (like the static pressure ones with an air tube) or paddle switch that's suitable for mounting inside the exhaust hood (this is poultry so the environment isn't the best....)

Or should I just screw this switch inside the hood and wing in some open wiring and hope it lasts till Im not around? :whistling2:
Don't these heaters have a power vent on them? If they do, they should have their own switch to detect that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Don't these heaters have a power vent on them? If they do, they should have their own switch to detect that.
There's switches in the heater itself, but they are also indirect vented (unvented) - meaning they vent the combustion air into the building and not outside, the theory being there's always air being exhausted. But the heater has to be interlocked with the exhaust so that if the exhaust fails, the heater shuts down instead of poisoning everyone.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a proper sail switch with an enclosure and do not wire it like you are a farmer too. you are about to blow up a building and create a lot of dead chickens otherwise and they will look for the fool who made an open connection.
I agree and that's what Im asking, what is a proper switch (i.e. make/model), where might I order it.

The equipment guy said that's what their electrician uses...wasn't sure how He did it though....

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I agree and that's what Im asking, what is a proper switch (i.e. make/model), where might I order it.

The equipment guy said that's what their electrician uses...wasn't sure how He did it though....
Are these tube heaters or just box heaters?

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have been in several chicken barns and all were done with tube heaters but the heat and ventilation was always taken care of by the climate controls , never needed interlock because fans always run intermittently to maintain air quality.
Same with hog barns I have done service in.
Is this a really old barn?
Or are they replacing existing units?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts

Just googled pics for sail switches lots of different a styles not sure how you will mount and wire though .
Can use the 24v from heater for source to make it alittle easier

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been in several chicken barns and all were done with tube heaters but the heat and ventilation was always taken care of by the climate controls , never needed interlock because fans always run intermittently to maintain air quality.
Same with hog barns I have done service in.
Is this a really old barn?
Or are they replacing existing units?
It's an existing barn (not really old) that's being renovated, and there was no existing heaters. There are ventilation controllers for the areas that maintain a minimum air exchange, but the heater needs interlocked so if the fan fails the heater can't run.

I thought/wondered if poultry barns were exempt from having to do this, but I don't know the gas code, and so far it's what Im being told.

The tube heaters are just controlled by their 120v power supply.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I hate to say it but a box heater won't heat enough to even keep up with the amount of air they want to exhaust.
I would be venting tube heaters out if it was me.
Seems like a awful waste to pump the heat in just to pump it back out.
Not sure if the code has changed on this I haven't wired a new barn in a few yrs.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Any sail sw in that environment is going to be a pain in the backside.
Those fans cake up with debris very quickly .
Worked on a bunch of box heaters a a hog barn , 4 yrs and you have to start rewiring everything on them.
All the connectors rot away.
My best results were after replacing all connections.
I give everything electrical a good spray with silicone spray.
Seems to be working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts