Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on a job yesterday and as always.. I took a look inside the alarm panel to see what kind of rats nest was in there...

This was a local oil company and the green pigtail was connected to nothing.. I have seen the same thing with ADT systems....

Seems the only guy running a proper ground lately is me..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So just how important is this ground since so many companies just ignore it....

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,613 Posts
The manufacturer specifies running a #12 or #14 ground wire to nearest water pipe........

Doesn't mean I think it is right, just repeating what all the maker's have in their installation instructions. I personally prefer a 3/0 run to the service ground and then run enough ground rods setup in a triangle shape to drop the grounding levels to less than an ohm, cause you just never know, and the NEC is a minimum... Real electricians know better than just 25 ohms.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
as I'm sure you are aware, for low voltage powered systems, grounding can be extremely important in some fire alarm applications (not so much for the purposes of a safety hazard from the low volt systems, but from the standpoint of the proper operation and reliability of the system. As to the hazard itself, there are still plenty of line voltage alarm systems out there as well, in which case improper grounding is itself a life safety hazard as well.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
macmikeman said:
The manufacturer specifies running a #12 or #14 ground wire to nearest water pipe........ Doesn't mean I think it is right, just repeating what all the maker's have in their installation instructions. I personally prefer a 3/0 run to the service ground and then run enough ground rods setup in a triangle shape to drop the grounding levels to less than an ohm, cause you just never know, and the NEC is a minimum... Real electricians know better than just 25 ohms.
The high school gym I just finished specified a 3/0 ground to Water, gas, sprinkler, data rack, and ufer. It was a separate building.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,613 Posts
The high school gym I just finished specified a 3/0 ground to Water, gas, sprinkler, data rack, and ufer. It was a separate building.
What size was feeder coming into the Gym?

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I was on a job yesterday and as always.. I took a look inside the alarm panel to see what kind of rats nest was in there...

This was a local oil company and the green pigtail was connected to nothing.. I have seen the same thing with ADT systems....

Seems the only guy running a proper ground lately is me..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So just how important is this ground since so many companies just ignore it....
If lightning hits an alarm panel directly a green jumper will not help it at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.