Electrician Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a job yesterday and as always.. I took a look inside the alarm panel to see what kind of rats nest was in there...

This was a local oil company and the green pigtail was connected to nothing.. I have seen the same thing with ADT systems....

Seems the only guy running a proper ground lately is me..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So just how important is this ground since so many companies just ignore it....

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
Is this a panel that has line voltage in it, or is it supplied by an external low volt supply?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
31,049 Posts
The manufacturer specifies running a #12 or #14 ground wire to nearest water pipe........

Doesn't mean I think it is right, just repeating what all the maker's have in their installation instructions. I personally prefer a 3/0 run to the service ground and then run enough ground rods setup in a triangle shape to drop the grounding levels to less than an ohm, cause you just never know, and the NEC is a minimum... Real electricians know better than just 25 ohms.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
as I'm sure you are aware, for low voltage powered systems, grounding can be extremely important in some fire alarm applications (not so much for the purposes of a safety hazard from the low volt systems, but from the standpoint of the proper operation and reliability of the system. As to the hazard itself, there are still plenty of line voltage alarm systems out there as well, in which case improper grounding is itself a life safety hazard as well.

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
I always run a cable with extra wires to the transformer and crimp a ring terminal and land it with the receptacle screw.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I don't think these panels even monitor for ground fault...
They don't without a ground connection. :jester:

Most if not all can do ground fault monitoring, I think it is part of the listing requirements.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Sounds like a burg. Panel. All the panels I've worked on don't monitor ground faults.
The Bosch systems can. Usually they have a dip switch on the board.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
macmikeman said:
The manufacturer specifies running a #12 or #14 ground wire to nearest water pipe........ Doesn't mean I think it is right, just repeating what all the maker's have in their installation instructions. I personally prefer a 3/0 run to the service ground and then run enough ground rods setup in a triangle shape to drop the grounding levels to less than an ohm, cause you just never know, and the NEC is a minimum... Real electricians know better than just 25 ohms.
The high school gym I just finished specified a 3/0 ground to Water, gas, sprinkler, data rack, and ufer. It was a separate building.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
31,049 Posts
The high school gym I just finished specified a 3/0 ground to Water, gas, sprinkler, data rack, and ufer. It was a separate building.
What size was feeder coming into the Gym?

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
I was on a job yesterday and as always.. I took a look inside the alarm panel to see what kind of rats nest was in there...

This was a local oil company and the green pigtail was connected to nothing.. I have seen the same thing with ADT systems....

Seems the only guy running a proper ground lately is me..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So just how important is this ground since so many companies just ignore it....
If lightning hits an alarm panel directly a green jumper will not help it at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts