Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some insight about the 1st year test for apprentice electricians in Alberta. Could someone give me some direction on the types of questions going to be asked and maybe some examples??
The company I work for wants me to challenge 1st and 2nd year tests.... Any help at all would be appreciated!!

Cheers

·
13,020 Posts
You're going to get dinged for posting duplicate threads.

Is the test intended for people applying at the very beginning of the program, or for people finishing up their first year apprenticeship?

If the latter, I'd expect questions regarding jobsite safety, basic electrical stuff (DC theory, ohm's law, simple circuit calculations), maybe some general knowledge kinda stuff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
End of first year test

Oops I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up!

It's the test after completion of first year. I was just wondering if anyone had taken it recently and had any tips for me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just took the 1st year test in feb, and to my suprise there was a lot of fire alarm questions (My lab instructor told us not to even look at it as it wasnt oging to be covered until 4th year). The code section for me was tougher than the rest...be sure to check the appendixes for every damn code question on the tq's.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do the schooling, if you do it right you can make as much or more money while you are in school. By challenging you are hurting yourself and benefitting your boss. You may get the 70% needed but what about the 30% of stuff you didnt know cause you didnt take the course. Anyone that thinks that the schooling is not impprtant is very nieve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet, thanks mikestew I'll go over fire alarms thoroughly.

Well I went to college and was enrolled in the electrical engineering technician program in Ontario but it isn't acknowledged here in Alberta so I have to challenge the tests instead of being exempt from them... Any other things I should be aware or certain sections that will be a strong part of the test let me know!

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
i'm in the 2nd block class now and it is based on the Alberta program, 30% is on RLC series and parallel circuits, can't remember the rest of the percentages but electrical side of HVAC is also there and motor control and power factor correction. code is still the largest part of the test i think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
for first year know edison three wire youll have a few on that... know how to use wiring methods in the code book, and know how to size a service for a house.
youll touch on the basics of batteries, generators, and basic theory regarding ohms law, etc.
when i took first year there was no fire alarms i dont know why that would be in there... there was knowing class 1 and 2 wiring, as well as a module on security systems.
also know basic code on sizing wire as well as overcurrent protection. i dont think you get into overloads until second year.
this is all first year info..

hope that helps!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I really found that first year was VERY theory driven. If you can keep up with the theory portion of the period (roughly 40% of your overall mark) it will enable you to grasp the rest of the material pretty easily. Theory was mostly ohms law, series, parallel and series/parallel ccts, edison 3wire, generators and sources of emf, blah blah blah.
Good luck on the exams!

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would suggest buying the modules. You will have a hard time passing without them. Read through them, do the questions, and if you are confident then challenge. I challenged 1st year and my uncle as well as a few coworkers did as well.

If you want to challenge 2nd, in my opinion 3rd might be easier. You have to go to school once out of the 4 times as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I bought the modules from the college book store and they have helped quite a bit. There are so many questions in there though!! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on whats covered on the exam.. know Edison 3 wire and know codes and regulations for the most part?.. The company I work for (ATCO Electric) will be sending me to school for 3rd and 4th year if I pass the 1st and 2nd tests.

Thanks for the help.

Anymore direction and suggestions are greatly appreaciated.

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you're challenging, buy the modules and go to www.tradesecrets.org and read through all the objectives in the course outline. You can see how many questions per topic, based on the hours spent covering them in the outline. If you read each objective and understand what they're saying, and can do all the math, you'll be fine.

It's a good, fair exam and if you know the material, you'll pass.

·
Registered
138 Posts
After my students last year took the level 1 challenge test here in Manitoba I made up some sample questions based on what types of questions they had on their tests.

I can't say that they are the same as Alberta, but they should be similar because of the similar training between here and NAIT.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here are the answers to the sample test, but they may not be to the 2012 book.
There are some answers in this answer key that are wrong.

Q36, R8 resistance is 10 ohms, not 8 ohms. Answer should be D, not C.

Q57, House has two ranges:
14kW (not 14.4kW) and 13kW. 12kW = 6000W + (2000W * .25) = 6500W + (13000*.25) = 9750W. Answer doesn't exist.

Q72, 102V is right, but the answer should be B, not C.

Q87, R7 is 8 ohms, not 7 ohms. Answer should be C, not B.

Q98, R8 is 10 ohms, not 7 ohms. Answer should be 4.44W, which doesn't exist.

Q125, House has two ranges:
12kW and 14.4kW. 12kW = 6000W + (14400W*.25) = 9600W. Answer doesn't exist.

Q144, 2X^2-4X+2=0 breaks down to (X-1)(X-1) so X=1. Answer should be A, not C.

If I've done something wrong to get these, feel free to let me know.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.