Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved out to Alberta (Calgary more specific) to look for someone to take me on as an electrician apprentice. I am currently about to start handing out applications and was looking for hints and tips when applying. As in what do when applying in person, what are some good questions to ask? Is phoning up smaller residential companies and asking if they are looking for work a good idea? I have a bachelors degree and have worked labour jobs all my summers; A very responsible hard working person. If you know anyone that is hiring could you let me know or any contacts that I may follow through with that would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think if you spend enough time on the yellow pages and google maps, you can build a pretty good list of over 100 electrical companies with a place of business in the city of Calgary. I'd aim for 125-150. Map out each on a hand drawn map then you can see the most efficient route to visit them all with a resume. I figure 3 out of 100 is pretty reasonable odds given your willingness to start the trade and how busy the city is with work right now.

Your biggest obstacle is speaking to someone in a hiring position as that's a much better chance then a blind resume left with the receptionist (oddly enough though, this is exactly how I got hired so always leave one, you just never know).

Try and find the best way to word the following - you are interested in a career with XYZ electric, here is your resume, is anyone around that maybe has 5 minute to talk? if not, understandable. You'd like to maybe follow up in a few days on that resume, who is the best person to contact?

You could always cold call or apply online. I think the best approach is in person but that's just me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just like FP suggested, map it out on Google Maps.

When I moved to Alberta, I did exactly that.

Your best bet is residential. Maybe some commercial.

Just pound the pavement and make it happen. I blitzed it for a week and by the end of the week got a few offers. It will happen, you just need to not be discouraged by rejection.

Get at it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the replies, very helpful and encouraging. My main plan was to map out companies and hit as many as I could each day, nice to see the reassurance from guys that have actually done it before. I like the tip about talking to a hiring manager, will make an effort to at least leave with an e-mail or contact number to follow up with. Looks like I'll have to work the charm to get passed those front desk ladies haha.

·
Registered
427 Posts
What all these guys said. I met my current employer by cold calling and meeting him during his travels from one of his sites to another. Showed up to my coffee shop interview with my tools and got hired right on the spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Good tips. I think I'll be making the drive from Winnipeg to Calgary and going door to door in person. I'm just starting an apprenticeship program though, so I might have a tough go finding someone to sponsor me. I'm hearing residential is the best place to start. True?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts