Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm a 27 year old recovering alcoholic (9 months as of may, 1) and I have my IBEW apprenticeship interview a week from Saturday. I'm basically wondering how to approach this subject (if at all) during my interview? Perhaps just dance around the issue if cornered?

Keep in mind: No felonies although I did get a dwi several years back, I have no beef with ex-employers (in fact a few of them wrote letters), Athough I was a selfish falling down drunk and hurt all those around me for years I didn't cause *too much* trouble in society's eyes.

I have a sponsor (and his approval), a network, I'm going through the steps, and I go to a meeting everyday

It's not that I'm embarrassed to talk about it, I just don't want to hurt my chances. I also think my primary occupation for the past couple of years may raise a few questions: Musician (took work as waiter/laborer during the off season)

-Thank you

I'm sorry if that was long.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Why in the world would you want to bring that up during an interview? Just leave it be.

Congratulations on your sobriety. :thumbup:

·
13,020 Posts
Given how many untreated alcoholics I've seen in the trade, I would say you are already a step above.

Congrats on your sobriety, stay on it. If it comes up, be honest, but it's not worth volunteering that information.

·
Sophomore Member
106 Posts
Can't imagine why it would be a problem. Especially since so many in the trade aren't even in recovery(if you know what I mean).

Good luck on your interview.
btw, also mention you are also a recovering musician.:jester:

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hello all, I'm a 27 year old recovering alcoholic (9 months as of may, 1) and I have my IBEW apprenticeship interview a week from Saturday. I'm basically wondering how to approach this subject (if at all) during my interview? Perhaps just dance around the issue if cornered?

Keep in mind: No felonies although I did get a dwi several years back, I have no beef with ex-employers (in fact a few of them wrote letters), Athough I was a selfish falling down drunk and hurt all those around me for years I didn't cause *too much* trouble in society's eyes.

I have a sponsor (and his approval), a network, I'm going through the steps, and I go to a meeting everyday

It's not that I'm embarrassed to talk about it, I just don't want to hurt my chances. I also think my primary occupation for the past couple of years may raise a few questions: Musician (took work as waiter/laborer during the off season)

-Thank you

“Never write if you can speak; never speak if you can nod; never nod if you can wink".

The fact that you were previously a drunkard, is no ones business but yours, telling people about it will lead to lower pay, higher insurance rates and all types of crap that you do not need, if the guys want to drink after work just tell them you have to go pick up your kid'(s) or something really important.

Good luck and Welcome aboard...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Congratulations on sobriety. I however would most certainly not bring it up during an interview. I believe in keeping personal matters and work separate; don't bring work problems home, and don't bring personal issues to work.

What might come up thought is a question about having a valid driver's license and my advice on that would be to tell the truth (keep it short and simple). They might also inquire about your driving record if you would be expected to operate a company vehicle.

As far your past work experience, I'd just make sure they know you are turning the page on being a professional musician so that they can be assured you planning to take the opportunity to begin a new career as an electrician seriously.

Reactions: hersch126

·
Registered
9,118 Posts

-Thank you

Don't bring up your drinking. If asked, the answer is "I do not drink. At all." Period.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
OP, do you know the difference between an alcoholic and an drunk? Drunks don't have to go to the stupid meetings.

I promise you that many electricians on this board drink more than you ever did, they just don't think they have a problem.

If you are going to AA, It's no one's business other than yours, your sponsor and your wife. Loose lips sink ships.

·
Banned
15,674 Posts

-Thank you

Don't divulge any information. Don't lie about the DWI.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
I wouldn't tell them anything.

Although, it would be really funny if you knocked a 12 pack over before you went in and then start telling them about how you're a new man and you are just as sober as a nun. :laughing:

And then light up a cigarette in his office.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You'll fit on fine. Don't stress over it. Don't "approach" anything. We all have our past demons. If they ask about a DUI, be honest. Other than that, you are going to be working with a bunch of drunks anyway.

·
IBEW Local#269
339 Posts
You'll most likely find that many in your local are recovering as well, and that will help with you developing a support system.
I wouldn't bring it up in the interview. No reason to, unless they ask about a DUI, as was mentioned previously.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Don't bring up your drinking. If asked, the answer is "I do not drink. At all." Period.
or you can just say I used to but I no longer do it.this will help if at all they do a background check

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
No ones gonna pat you on the back and say good for you so I would never even bring it up. But I realize lots of recovering addicts feel the need to talk about constantly even though people probably couldn't care less

1 - 20 of 22 Posts