Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I received a service call for all the lights in the house dimming continuously. I figured "easy service call". Wrong. Here's what's I've done. Checked all main line connections in panel. Checked OK, no loose or evidence of deteriorated wires. Checked line and load side wires in meter bank. Checked OK, again no evidence of an issue. Metered the main panel and found it to be unbalanced, reconfigured and balanced the load. This seemed to lessen the dimming, and made it unnoticeable unless concentrating on the lights. Figured everything was good and the customer was happy. The customer just called me back and said the lights are noticeably dimming once again. I'm out of resolutions that I can think of. Very peculiar. Now this problem was not happening when a certain appliance was turned on, she has all gas appliances, and not using A/C. Furnace motor did not seem to cause this either. Does any smart person out there have any other options I may be able to use??? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you have other lights that are getting brighter you might have a loose neutral on the main. If you were reading voltage as being unbalanced that might also be a loose neutral.

·
Rest In Peace
6,298 Posts
If all lights dim, meaning more than 1 circuit, and you have checked the customer side of the POCO, then you have a loose neutral more than likely either at the service connection or at the pole.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No brightening of lights, this problem is normal light output to dim, very quickly and rapidly. But I've seen lights damn near explode from a loose neutral.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If all lights dim, meaning more than 1 circuit, and you have checked the customer side of the POCO, then you have a loose neutral more than likely either at the service connection or at the pole.
I will check to see if her neighbors are having a similar issue. Although what throws me off is that the dimming was better after balancing and very hard to even notice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts