Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Menards has a huge stock of them on clearance for $15 each . . . I've used these in the past in place of T12 striplights . . . $15 is insane, I bought 10.

·
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I havent opened any, I know they can accept T8 and T12 and start at 0 degrees.

The ones we have up already have been up for about a year of near constant use . . . not so much as one bad bulb, and silent . . . I was pricing out striplights with reflectors, and they were prohibitively expensive . . . one of my suppliers told me he had bought a few of these at Menards for his house and was impressed. I was skeptical, but trusted him. He was right.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Menards has a huge stock of them on clearance for $15 each . . . I've used these in the past in place of T12 striplights . . . $15 is insane, I bought 10.
$15 Cost of Menard's light
$25 Cost of replacement ballast
$50 Cost of labor to replace ballast

$90 cost per fixture

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
I havent opened any, I know they can accept T8 and T12 and start at 0 degrees.

The ones we have up already have been up for about a year of near constant use . . . not so much as one bad bulb, and silent . . . I was pricing out striplights with reflectors, and they were prohibitively expensive . . . one of my suppliers told me he had bought a few of these at Menards for his house and was impressed. I was skeptical, but trusted him. He was right.
If they have the "American Fluorescent" ballast in them get ready to replace them.
Oh, and you'll have to reconfigure the wiring as the cheap ballasts are connected different than a name brand one.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
:001_huh:

Unplug and remove light, take to recycler, replace with another $15 shop light.
:no::no:
Probably not a problem if you just use them for home use. I've had very poor results with Menard's troffers etc. Some of the last ones we installed were purchase by the HO in his woodworking shop. We replaced 3 of the ballasts before we had even finished wiring the shop. I've returned at least 3 times since to replace ballasts. He long ago lost any savings on the T8 strips. If they have a standard Sylvania, Advance etc. ballast in them you should be okay.

·
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$15 Cost of Menard's light
$25 Cost of replacement ballast
$50 Cost of labor to replace ballast

$90 cost per fixture
I'd agree if we were talking about their entry level stuff ($10ea regular price) but these are normally $30 each, they're a different brand than the cheap stuff. As I said, I've had nothing but good experiences after a year of heavy use.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
The Menards fluorescent fixtures are mostly crap. My rule is no cheap fluorescents and no cheap recess lights. To much labor to replace. Although HD does have some 8 foot T5 fixtures for around $70 that are the shiit

·
Thumper
714 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.