Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped out or the PLC world when the PLC 2 and 3 was it. I will allow a moment of pause for laughter.... My question pertains to the Connencted Components Workbench Software. Is it free and does it support the 810, 830, 850? I ask this because I just looked at a 687 page PDF manual online for the instruction set of the 850 and thought no way is this software free. Then I saw there was a standard version and that word usually means limitations. I see you can use it for there Panel View as well. True? Also, any ball park prices on these AB models? I've been out of the PLC world since 1997 so you see what I'm getting at. Am close to retirement and would like to get back into it so I need a jump start. Thanks. Mike.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
I dropped out or the PLC world when the PLC 2 and 3 was it. I will allow a moment of pause for laughter.... My question pertains to the Connencted Components Workbench Software. Is it free and does it support the 810, 830, 850? I ask this because I just looked at a 687 page PDF manual online for the instruction set of the 850 and thought no way is this software free. Then I saw there was a standard version and that word usually means limitations. I see you can use it for there Panel View as well. True? Also, any ball park prices on these AB models? I've been out of the PLC world since 1997 so you see what I'm getting at. Am close to retirement and would like to get back into it so I need a jump start. Thanks. Mike.
Hey, I remember "THE" original PLC, or you could say the PLC-1. Most people don't realize that the term PLC and "Programmable Logic Controller" were both copyrighted trade names of Allen Bradley for a long time, even though Modicon was started 6 years earlier by Richard Morely. The original Modicon 184 was called a "Sequential Machine Controller" or SMC (which ironically is now the term AB uses for their "Smart Motor Controller" soft starters, which by the way is rumored to not be a coincidence). But outside of GM, they didn't get much traction until AB got in the game. The term PLC became so ubiquitous that AB just quit trying to sue everyone and allowed it to become an industry term.

Anyway, yes, believe it or not CCW is totally free to download (you only pay a little if you want it on a CD). A lot of people are disbelieving of the terms "free software" and Allen Bradley in the same sentence, but it's true. CCW does program the entire Micro800 product line, the PanelView COMPONENT line that goes with the Mico800s (not all PanelViews), all VFDs, SMC soft starters, and the soon to be released new line of smart overload relays that will be called the E300s. It cannot program the larger PACs (CompactLogix and ControlLogix) or the full blown PanelView products, but if you need to migrate up, you can import the files you create in CCW so you get a head start.

Prices on the M800 line start at around $100 and go up, so it's hard to guess without knowing your requirements. If you are in Northern CA, we are going to start a series of "PLC-101" 1 day training seminars after the first of the year at distributors where you will pay a small fee for the class but get to take home a small Micro800 and an optional 4" PanelView. I've been doing that for VFDs all year this past year where you get to take home a PowerFlex 525, it's been wildly popular. I don't think other Rockwell offices are doing it yet, but ours is the #1 region for the PF525 rollout partly as a result of my program, so hopefully other districts will adopt it when that gets published internally later. That success is what is driving the local PLC guys to do a similar thing for their entry level products. If you are in NorCal and interested, shoot me a PM with your email, I'll make sure you get an invitation. If you are not in NorCal, sorry, you'll have to wait. I think SoCal is likely to start this year on the VFD seminars, but my counterpart down there is brand new with the company so he's still learning. Might be a few more months. The PLC version may not happen for a while, they will likely watch our hit rate before they try it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one day seminar

Hello J. I live in Eureka Ca. so northern california means something different to me. I call Sanfrancisco Southern Ca. I am 1 1/2 hours from the Oregon border. Mike.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Hello J. I live in Eureka Ca. so northern california means something different to me. I call Sanfrancisco Southern Ca. I am 1 1/2 hours from the Oregon border. Mike.
Lol, it's always about perspective! We will be doing one in Santa Rosa, that's about as close as we will get.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I've been to Eureka...stopped at the mall there for lunch once. Small town. I remember it being cold and foggy.

Lol, it's always about perspective! We will be doing one in Santa Rosa, that's about as close as we will get.
Do you accept Canadians? I've got a 525 sitting on my desk that I wish I was more familiar with. Have to commission about 30 VFD's (10 to 500 hp) in April and am looking for a course that my company can send me to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts