Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I had to do the same thing on an entire floor once. This was summer time in New Orleans. Some days I was chipping in 1-2 inches of water from the afternoon showers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
TGGT said:
I had to do the same thing on an entire floor once. This was summer time in New Orleans. Some days I was chipping in 1-2 inches of water from the afternoon showers.
Yuck. I hate working in mud and water. Lol

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
MtJT7 said:
It's winter here and half of them are covered in inches of ice. I get to chip em all out and get couplers on them. Lol. Wish me luck to get them all working!
. Start stubbing up out of slabs with rigid , and you'll rarely have they problem . They may get bent , but nothing a hickey can't fix .

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
cl219um said:
i usually use rigid 90s, if you have ever burned through a pvc 90 while pulling wires in, youd never go back,
That's a good way to never win a competitive bid job. I'll use rigid 90s all day on [email protected] jobs, but bid gets the cheapest of the cheap.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
Well you don't have to chip out pvc stubs anymore Carlon makes a tool for that . You buy the kit from 1/2" to 1 1/4" pvc you drill into the pvc with this special cutter they make .

Then from Carlon they have a pvc special coupling that goes inside the conduit you glue it and you done its a UL listed fix .

We never use factory 90 s on any slab we prefab our own at the shop and we never have lost a stub during dirt work because it gives when hit and the length of the stub if its hit during concrete pouring by a pump hose or stepped on by idiots it bows but the coupling will not come apart . factory 90 s are a waste of money and a problem you have two couplings close together your just looking for trouble .

Plus we always have a man or two to watch the pour with boots on in the mud .Think about the cost in labor or just get the tool it takes 5 minutes to fix it .:laughing: Don't listen to me iam just a monkey pipe guy

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
piperunner said:
Well you don't have to chip out pvc stubs anymore Carlon makes a tool for that . You buy the kit from 1/2" to 1 1/4" pvc you drill into the pvc with this special cutter they make . Then from Carlon they have a pvc special coupling that goes inside the conduit you glue it and you done its a UL listed fix . We never use factory 90 s on any slab we prefab our own at the shop and we never have lost a stub during dirt work because it gives when hit and the length of the stub if its hit during concrete pouring by a pump hose or stepped on by idiots it bows but the coupling will not come apart . factory 90 s are a waste of money and a problem you have two couplings close together your just looking for trouble . Plus we always have a man or two to watch the pour with boots on in the mud .Think about the cost in labor or just get the tool it takes 5 minutes to fix it .:laughing: Don't listen to me iam just a monkey pipe guy

Does it reduce the i.d of the pipe?

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Never done it, but I've heard of guys stopping stubs and putting threaded couplings on right at floor height, then plug the end of the coupling. As long as you've got good locations you find them after, and thread in your connectors or nipples to get above finished floor.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
Does it reduce the i.d of the pipe?

No it doesn't go to the Carlon web page read about the product
its been around for years .

Another trick we have done for many years is most jobs we do use a laser screed concrete slab you can not have any stubs you must be 1/4"of a inch below finish top,
So we use a pvc female to change over to EMT .

What we do is install a weed wacker string stubbed up 3 " above top of slab when the screed wipes over the weed wacker string stays in place easy find after pour .

If they used a ride on motor trowel the blades cut it off but it leaves chatter marks in a circle around the stub so you just pop it out with a hammer easy finding it after a pour . We also use this in tilt walls shear walls you never have to locate crap its there follow the string to box pipe or anything under concrete.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
piperunner said:
No it doesn't go to the Carlon web page read the about the product its been around for years .
Oh man. Those look awesome. I'll have to mention them to my jman.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Big John said:
Never done it, but I've heard of guys stopping stubs and putting threaded couplings on right at floor height, then plug the end of the coupling. As long as you've got good locations you find them after, and thread in your connectors or nipples to get above finished floor.
I've done a lot of tip up wall new construction in this fashion. Every concrete panel has a page of prints for device boxes and conduits. Stub outs obviously aren't an option so you gotta get it flush. I've had way more success with PVC couplings over FAs

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
I've done a lot of tip up wall new construction in this fashion. Every concrete panel has a page of prints for device boxes and conduits. Stub outs obviously aren't an option so you gotta get it flush. I've had way more success with PVC couplings over FAs
Well it doesn't matter what you use female or a coupling if you need to change over you must use a female . Weed wacker string works on anything box stubs coupling females even block outs below concrete .
we cant run pvc above any floor and you can mount a box to a female not a coupling I guess you use pvc any place lucky you but we cant on all our jobs its rigid or emt only . Its our building fire code no pvc out of slab I think you mean tilt walls .

21 - 40 of 47 Posts