Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see Republic is making Aluminum EMT. I don't think any of my local suppliers stock it, but I can only imagine its 1/2 the cost of steel EMT right now. I can get 1-1/4" aluminum rigid cheaper than 1-1/4" steel EMT right now.

I've ran across some of it installed in the 70s, pretty malleable stuff, didn't seem terrible. With 3/4" emt pushing $100/100ft pricing is really getting out of hand. Anyone use this stuff before?

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,692 Posts
Look in the NEC and see if EMT can be made out of Aluminum. I don't think it can. Rigid yes.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NEC 358.14, “…galvanized steel fittings and enclosures shall be permitted to be used with Aluminum EMT when not subject to severe corrosive influences.”

·
Hackenschmidt
11,905 Posts
I think aluminum EMT thinwall would be pretty fragile,
Look in the NEC and see if EMT can be made out of Aluminum. I don't think it can. Rigid yes.
358.2 Definition. Electrical Metallic Tubing (EMT). An unthreaded thinwall raceway of circular cross section designed for the physical protection and routing of conductors and cables and for use as an equipment grounding conductor when installed utilizing appropriate fittings. EMT is generally made of steel (ferrous) with protective coatings or aluminum (nonferrous).
I have never seen it and I bet it is pretty fragile, but I bet it would be good for use by salt water.

·
Premium Member
19,489 Posts
I think aluminum EMT thinwall would be pretty fragile,

I have never seen it and I bet it is pretty fragile, but I bet it would be good for use by salt water.
Ive seen it just a couple of times,
My dad told me that you have to be careful, its bends do easy, you can hit yourself with the bender handle.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,905 Posts
Ive seen it just a couple of times,
My dad told me that you have to be careful, its bends do easy, you can hit yourself with the bender handle.
On the other hand, I could probably hand bend 1-1/4" without praying and cursing, cut it with a drywall saw or even a good steak knife, and deburr it with my fingernail.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
908 Posts
We used AL rigid in a Motorola plant for all the 400 Hz wiring. That was long ago and I do not remember if it was for the 400hz or because they wanted all of the 400 stuff to look different.
AL EMT sounds like a problem. When was working with Alstan the busing was awfully hard to drill and tended not to like to be bent into 90 degree bends, even with the 30 ton press we had.
I never like the micro cracking in some of the bends we got.
Looking forward to someone here biting the bullet and buying and installing some.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,494 Posts
On the other hand, I could probably hand bend 1-1/4" without praying and cursing, cut it with a drywall saw or even a good steak knife, and deburr it with my fingernail.
Wait one minute now, it’s been a scant month ago you stated that you had the strength of ten men, now you tell us you pray and curse to bend 1 1/4”. I’m not buying this. :unsure:

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,809 Posts
Wait one minute now, it’s been a scant month ago you stated that you had the strength of ten men, now you tell us you pray and curse to bend 1 1/4”. I’m not buying this. :unsure:
Well he's aged since then....

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
309 Posts
Tried it before it bowed to easy to save Any cost you will spend more Time straightening than it’s worth. They also make stainless emt

·
Hackenschmidt
11,905 Posts

·
Estwing magic
26,312 Posts
I see Republic is making Aluminum EMT. I don't think any of my local suppliers stock it, but I can only imagine its 1/2 the cost of steel EMT right now. I can get 1-1/4" aluminum rigid cheaper than 1-1/4" steel EMT right now.

I've ran across some of it installed in the 70s, pretty malleable stuff, didn't seem terrible. With 3/4" emt pushing $100/100ft pricing is really getting out of hand. Anyone use this stuff before?
Go shopping. I have had pricing from 9 to 17 loonies for 3/4” EMT in the last month.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I used aluminum rigid once, about 25 years ago. It was a service upgrade, and I was putting in 3" (as I recall) as a vertical periscope (just straight pieces) on the front of the building. LOVED it. I could lift it and install it by myself. Can't see why I wouldn't do it again, under similar circumstances.

I'm just not warming up to aluminum EMT, though.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Just make sure it is approved by the AHJ.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,542 Posts
Other than services, I haven’t run aluminum heavy wall in a long time. There was a dairy plant I worked at on and off for two years, and that’s almost all we used.

I read on here in the past, that aluminum bend’s like to open up after they are bent. Like bend a perfect 90 that is checked after it comes out of the bender. But leave it sit for a little bit and it’s open before you put it up? Same with offsets. I don’t remember that happening to me. But like I said, that was a long time ago. If that is truly a problem, would it be worse with thin wall?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts