Votes: 9 23.7%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What so you guys use for your services? I guess I use copper as an old habit, but to be competitive I might start using aluminum. Help keep the costs down. And why would you use one over the other?

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
I use aluminum because there is absolutely no reason to use copper.

Once in a blue moon I will get a customer who asks for copper, so I happily sell it to them with a huge markup.
Pretty much sums it up. :yes:

I haven't used CU for a service in recent memory.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
What kinda logic is that? It may come through four hundred miles of aluminum to reach your house, but if those last 15 feet ain't copper then it's all down-hill. :no:
Jezze, no kidding, I have an overhead service, of course the last 15' are down hill. What an idiot. :laughing:

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I only use tin-coated copper. Regular copper is for casuals and fake electricians. Aluminum is just hacky.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Always AL. I live in the land of SE cable and it's 99.9% aluminum. On those rare occasions you see a PVC service on a house, it's usually AL wire in those too.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
You can't even get aluminum here in SoCal. All the supply houses only carry copper. I'd use aluminum if it was readily available.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What's the going rates if your guys areas for 200 amp upgrade, 40/40 panel with about 30 circuits? Basic service, nothing crazy with meter/main dissconnects.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
djcubinlinx said:
what's the going rates if your guys areas for 200 amp upgrade, 40/40 panel with about 30 circuits? Basic service, nothing crazy with meter/main dissconnects.
$2300.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.