Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member here, long time reader. I've worked in the electrical/REF field for 14 years. We do a lot of work on schools build in the 50/60s and see lots of aluminum conduit, above ground direct buried. What say you all, I know the NEC says "supplementary corrosion protection is required for direct contact with earth" this stuff seems to hold up well. However I've never excavated any.....yet.

Does anyone use aluminum ridged for anything? It seems like it would be a better choice above ground that galvi or EMT, and we all know what anything non-metallic looks like is 20+ years.

TWN

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Many services are done with it around here. Most exterior work in the city has it in part of the rmc code and its easier to work with.

·
IBEW Local#269
339 Posts
The only place I've used it was in wastewater treatment plants.
Not bad. Light weight, easy thread.
Had to use penetrox on the threads when threading, otherwise it would be easy to cross-thread, and you couldn't take it apart if you had to.

·
Premium Member
20,109 Posts
We have to protect conduits emerging from underground here, I haven't seen any Al rigid used here in a very long time.
Also, the cost is just slightly less than steel and, the labor savings could be a very big factor.
BTW, trying to get a snake in the smaller sized conduits, kinda sux.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
We use it at our wwtp... I love it!

We dug up an abandoned al duct bank and it was crazy full of galling on the inside (what wasnt encased) fyi that was a 30yo run

Holds up well though exposed as grc is hopeless around h2s

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
A while back I reworked an underground tank that had AL used for the last 10' to the sumps (where the submerged pumps were) and it was severely corroded. I've not used it myself.

BTW, this was on Ocracoke Island, NC, and the tide water came up above the tank top, so saltish water was involved.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have run miles of aluminum conduit in refineries up and down the gulf coast. As mentioned previously, lightweight, extremely durable, and very forgiving when over bent. We are typically provided STL8 but use NOALOX in a pinch. I have yet to see anyone post that they use peanut oil to thread. Yes, the same stuff you fry a turkey with. Organic and bio degradeable. No EPA harassment when you spill it. Just don't try to recycle it on thanksgiving. Not so tasty.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Some plants spec aluminum for exposed conduit larger than 2 inch. Aluminum is easier to bend and lighter, but more difficult to thread strait with a "hog head". The oxidation on the pipe gets you really dirty. The one bending quirk is the slower spring back.

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts
New member here, long time reader. I've worked in the electrical/REF field for 14 years. We do a lot of work on schools build in the 50/60s and see lots of aluminum conduit, above ground direct buried. What say you all, I know the NEC says "supplementary corrosion protection is required for direct contact with earth" this stuff seems to hold up well. However I've never excavated any.....yet.

Does anyone use aluminum ridged for anything? It seems like it would be a better choice above ground that galvi or EMT, and we all know what anything non-metallic looks like is 20+ years.

TWN
Please elaborate on the above ground direct buried

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.