Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Estwing magic
26,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to buy some boots that are Electrical Shock Resistant but have an aluminum toe. I thought ESR would have meant composite toe only. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I’m looking to buy some boots that are Electrical Shock Resistant but have an aluminum toe. I thought ESR would have meant composite toe only. Thoughts?
I can't recommend any specific boot but the toe cap is typically surrounded by leather and a rubbers sole. The toe shouldn't have an opportunity to conduct.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,667 Posts
I think they make the EH boots with no steel shank in the sole but there are lots of steel toe electrical hazard rated boots. I did not know there were aluminum toe boots, I am not sure I like the idea.

Are you used to wearing safety toe boots? I only wear steel toes on sites that require that protection, mainly some of the industrial plants I work in. It's just about impossible to get a pair that the toe box is big enough and they do look like clown shoes. Cold in the winter too.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,335 Posts
If boots that are minus a steel shank and toe are protecting you from a shock, something is wrong. I find it painful to wear boots without a shank due to my job frequently climbing 75’ ladders to the top of cement silos.

·
Estwing magic
26,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think they make the EH boots with no steel shank in the sole but there are lots of steel toe electrical hazard rated boots. I did not know there were aluminum toe boots, I am not sure I like the idea.

Are you used to wearing safety toe boots? I only wear steel toes on sites that require that protection, mainly some of the industrial plants I work in. It's just about impossible to get a pair that the toe box is big enough and they do look like clown shoes. Cold in the winter too.
I always wear safety boots or shoes. The exception might be finishing work.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
730 Posts
I consider the concept of conductive metal next to my feet a stupid move. I have always purchased EH rated boots with fiberglass or some other plastic material for the toes and arches.
As long as they meet the stated requirements for the site there has never been a problem.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,335 Posts

Unless you have really big toes, the USA made Rocky boots (Nelsonville Ohio) should be a good fit. Might look into them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts