Electrician Talk banner

ALuminum wire connectors

CEC 
14K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  electricguy 
#1 ·
Did some repairs on a house the other day. Well over half the house, was aluminum. In most cases, we used the approved marrette for copper to aluminum, with copper pigtail going to the device. From what i see, they do not make an approved connector for aluminum to aluminum. The old wire connectors that were used in that case, appeared fine, ..... checked the connections, and all were good. Has anyone found approved wire connector per say....or has anyone used and have any feedback on these types? Hope the link works?? Obviously they take up a little more real estate so box fill could be an issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
It is odd that wirenuts that are approved for cu/al are not approved for al/al. I called ideal and they said there were none on the market- that was a year or so ago- I think

The only thing I don't like about those alumicons shown above is that they tend to get a bit bulky especially in the 3 and 4 hole units.

#3 ·
psssssst. here is a secret. If you twist aluminum to aluminum , you don't have to be worried about dissimilar metals connected together, and so logic says a regular wirenut is going to be every bit as safe and sound. Put some goop on the connections for added peace of mind.

#5 ·
Yeah, well if the job has permits and inspections, pretty sure it won't fly, least around here it won't . I just use 65's for most connections of old alum romex, none have exploded in the last 20 yrs of frequent usage.

When I remodel old homes in my neighborhood - Hawaii Kai- 75% 70's era built using alum romex, I see hundreds of yellow Ideal and gray Scotch wirenuts put on initially using no-alox that have held up perfectly, unless some joker came in and added a copper wire to the splice, which is when the trouble starts.

Reactions: hardworkingstiff
#6 ·
I was under the impression that part of the problem with the old alum was also oxidation, which created a high resistance connection. I don't see how twisting alleviates that condition.

#7 ·
The problem with the old aluminum as I have read is that when it heated up and cooled it expanded and contracted. The noalox help stop that. Copper may do it some but not to the extent of aluminum.

Now I am thinking the reason why the connector is not rated for 2 aluminum conductors is because with both of the wires expanding and contracting the metal in the connector cannot compensate (contract) enough with it.

#17 ·
"Aluminum to copper: in a range of combinations where No. 18 or No. 16 copper wire is used, such as for some lighting fixtures (not suitable for basic copper pigtailing for repairing aluminum wiring)"

this is also misleading most fixture wire i see is tinned or silver in colour (color) and i would pigtail a cu to the alum and then connect the fixture wire, BTW i always pigtail to connections of more than 2 wires, 4 white wires connected together would get a pig tail ie keyless holders

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.