Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never really deal with the aluminum wiring on houses (for the receptacles). A friend of mine asked me what I thought about the rental house that has aluminum to the receptacles and lights. He said there is black smoke stain (shaped like a funnel) above a couple of the receptacles (I asked him to get me a picture and if he does, I'll post it here).

For those of you that have dealt with this, is there usually enough room in the boxes to install the listed wire nuts and copper pig tails? Do you just install the cu/al receptacles? Do you use something else?

(no, I'm not going to suggest he rewire the house)

Thanks to all that try to help.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
if theres room in the box to make the alco connection, it is the easiest way out. purple nuts(wire) are the answer according to the 'book'. if not, then a blue carlon rem box may be needed! if there is enough wire there.( wait for it, wait for it!)

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I've never really deal with the aluminum wiring on houses (for the receptacles). A friend of mine asked me what I thought about the rental house that has aluminum to the receptacles and lights. He said there is black smoke stain (shaped like a funnel) above a couple of the receptacles (I asked him to get me a picture and if he does, I'll post it here).

For those of you that have dealt with this, is there usually enough room in the boxes to install the listed wire nuts and copper pig tails? Do you just install the cu/al receptacles? Do you use something else?

It all depends on the size of the box installed if you need to change it out or not.

The way I do it is use the alumiconns with copper pigtails and new devices. Make sure you get a torque screwdriver and install them per the manufacturers specs. If it were me I would stay away from the purple wire nuts.

Here's some pics of some I did a few months back. Luckily they had boxes with plenty of room. If there have the small metal nail on boxes then youll likely have to change them out.

and just for comparison sake, here are some pictures of the alumiconns next to a purple wire nut and a 3M tan/red. These are the 3 port alumiconns. They do make a 2 port version now as well that is smaller, but they actually cost more.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I look at al wiring to recaps like i look at pools, let someone that specializes in it do it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh I'm NOT going to do it, just gathering info for my buddy because he's one of those I can do it all myself landlords (which in is fine by me because I don't do resi).

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks to all that replied and to anyone else that does. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I look at al wiring to recaps like i look at pools, let someone that specializes in it do it...
Yeah those people are called Electricians. :laughing:

Aluminum wiring is not difficult, but it can be very time consuming.. So charge top dollar on the quotes or if you're good with the customer do hourly.

I've done a few houses.. they get a full inspection of the wiring, copper pigtails and new devices, and it usually takes me 2 days. I always do #63 marrettes and grey noalox for the al/cu splice.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
That original connection is really scary. :eek:
I'm guessing that was the home owner's attempt at replacing their p/s, and you were called in because half the house stopped working?

Actually I did a kitchen remodel there about 2 - 3 years back. Explained to the owner about the aluminum wiring in her house.

So every few months she'll save up some money and have me come do copper pig tails on a few devices.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
My fear is that there is a hidden jbox in an attic somewhere that i miss. Burns the whole house down.
Even copper wired houses burn down from electrical fires. That's the whole fear of the business... It does cross my mind too, but I push on!

We're like superheros, we save people from electrical fire and electrical shock monsters... but we can't save them all!

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,177 Posts
If I take a picture of the valley behind my house from the rear facing sliding doors there will be 4 or 5 hundred houses in the picture all wired with aluminum wiring during the early seventies. Henry Kaiser developed the area and lived a mile away from here. Mine, I built in 2000 and used copper.

Bout every 5 years we get to see one go up in flames. I figure that is about equal to what it would be if they were all copper wired.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
My house is all aluminum and I have no plan to change it.. I put all decora devices in and pigtailed with copper.

The reason I didn't use aluminum rated devices is because they're ugly and I couldn't find any white decora type. At least when I was looking. I said it before, but when I go to sell I'll splice all the branch circuits to copper in a crawlspace above the panel and feed down to the panel in copper. Then the home inspector will tell people the house is wired with copper and they will be happy and buy the place.

People are brainwashed to stay clear of aluminum.. for no real good reason. Aluminum just can't handle hackery by handymen and homeowners like copper can. That's all.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

If you are even thinking about doing the work you had better have insurance covering your work, especially if you have not dealt with aluminum. It is very unforgiving in the smaller wire sizes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.