Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a job I’m pricing that has some aluminum wiring on the branch circuits. No idea how much. However the homeowner wants to change all the devices.

What’s the right way to handle it?

Alumiconns on all splices in j-boxes?
Pigtail aluminum in receptacles and switches with copper using alumiconns and then installing a regular outlet/switch?

Or just install al/cu rated devices and Replace splices with alumiconns?

TIA

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I would use alumicons in every device box and pig tail with copper. It’ll probably add 10 minutes per device but I’m sure you already knew that.

The big question is can any of your suppliers get enough alumicons for you to do the entire job?

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,415 Posts
Pretty much the same if I can’t convince a rewire.

if give a quote with both options and explain that you will eventually be back to replace some of those alumicon connectors.

Also, be aware you will need more that three connectors if there are more than three conductors, and those connectors are not small. So some boxes may have to removed and replaced.

Reactions: MHElectric

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,415 Posts
I've never done it it BUT Wago lever nuts are rated for aluminum if used with there special paste.
Can you provide documentation? Last I looked was over a year and a half ago, and it wasn't listed, but that would be awesome if it was.

In realty, that crap just needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
Electrician
2,257 Posts
Can you provide documentation? Last I looked was over a year and a half ago, and it wasn't listed, but that would be awesome if it was.

In realty, that crap just needs to be replaced.
I misspoke a little. It's the regular spring clamp Wagos that are rated if you use the Alu-Plus paste. Downside, those connectors are only rated for 12 awg.

Attachments

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,415 Posts
I misspoke a little. It's the regular spring clamp Wagos that are rated if you use the Alu-Plus paste. Downside, those connectors are only rated for 12 awg.

I looked at that, and all I see is it is approved for aluminum... no for aluminum to copper. They word it in such a way as to allude to that, but I don't specifically see that.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: I see it mentions aluminum to copper as to prevention of corrosion, but it doesn't say it is approved.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just did an aluminum job in a mobile. Redid all splices with Marrette 63 or 65 as rated for copper to aluminum. Cut conductor back and striped a new length of wire before splicing on a new copper pigtail with paste. I dont know how common it is to find AL rated switches/receptacles, most I've seen are CU only.

Good to have heat shrink incase you come across melted connections where the insulation has melted off the conductor and cant get any more length in the box.

CEC has aluminum rules saying box bond screws need to be wrapped clockwise with at least 3/4 wrap but dont know about NEC.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
4,541 Posts
The 12-118 (6) in the 2021 CEC specifies wiring devices, not box bonding screws.

Huh.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,157 Posts
I don't know what the Canadian package says , but Ideal's purple 65 in USA says for temporary repairs.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I don't know what the Canadian package says , but Ideal's purple 65 in USA says for temporary repairs.
Do they really?

Ive heard a lot of people on the internet throw around the purple twisters as not being listed or something, but i sure haven’t seen any actual documentation on that.

Alumicons are definitely way better and a solid connection, but I still carry the twisters as well. They work good in old light boxes.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts