Electrician Talk banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
13,469 Posts
It seems like a bad idea since the whole point if the CuAl stuff is galvanic corrosion control. Any time in industrial where someone say gets a wild idea and puts a split bolt on a copper line to connect to aluminum utility wire. Within a couple years everything dissolves.
I just went on a service call where the house lost one leg. They had a service change three years ago and the electrician used copper split bolt connectors and exactly what you said happened. The Aluminum wire was completely corroded away. The Utility gives licensed electricians the right connectors for free and they allow us to make the proper connections.
The split bolts made for copper and aluminum have a divider so the copper isn't touching the aluminum, this seems to be a pretty bomb proof way to deal with the issue.

The purple wire nuts rely on the antioxidant grease to inhibit corrosion and the give in the spring to deal with expansion and contraction. That sounds like the kind of thing that works most of the time.

Again for small wires in crowded boxes I think the lever nut has the most potential if it has or gets the necessary listing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The split bolts made for copper and aluminum have a divider so the copper isn't touching the aluminum, this seems to be a pretty bomb proof way to deal with the issue.

The purple wire nuts rely on the antioxidant grease to inhibit corrosion and the give in the spring to deal with expansion and contraction. That sounds like the kind of thing that works most of the time.

Again for small wires in crowded boxes I think the lever nut has the most potential if it has or gets the necessary listing.

The Wago lever connectors are not rated for Aluminum. The side of the connector only says Cu and the cut sheet only says Copper too

Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Parallel

Automotive lighting Automotive design Rectangle Auto part Bumper

·
Registered
Electrician
1,837 Posts
The Wago website says the 2273 series and 222 series can be used on aluminum wire if you add the wago paste. But when I look at the specific 2273 or 222 connector and click the link for the UL approval, it specifically says copper conductors on there and says nothing about aluminum... so it's confusing, is it rated for aluminum or not?

Wago aluminum connections

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,430 Posts
The Wago website says the 2273 series and 222 series can be used on aluminum wire if you add the wago paste. But when I look at the specific 2273 or 222 connector and click the link for the UL approval, it specifically says copper conductors on there and says nothing about aluminum... so it's confusing, is it rated for aluminum or not?

Wago aluminum connections
Just looked through their documentation, and it says "Is suitable" for aluminum connection. It says nothing about approval of it though, so they are a no go even with their paste.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,444 Posts
This is from Home Depot AlumiConn 2-Port Al/Cu Wire Connector (10-Pack) 95015

Product Overview
King Innovation's AlumiConn Aluminum to Copper Lug is approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), UL and numerous insurance companies as a safe method for aluminum wiring repair. AlumiConn is a lug style connector with two separate ports to eliminate intermixing of conductors. It coats aluminum wires with a thin layer of silicone sealant to provide resistance from oxidation and uses set screws to break up surface oxides and provide a secure mechanical connection. Avoid a complete re-wire by using AlumiConn, the most cost-effective aluminum wiring repair solution available.
  • Approved by the consumer product safety committee (CPSC), UL listed, approved by insurance companies
  • Most cost-effective solution for repairing aluminum wiring systems
  • 2 ports allow conductors to remain separate, permitting the lug to run at a lower temperature and provide longer term reliability
  • Secure mechanical connection
  • Contains a layer of corrosion inhibitor that provides resistance from oxidation
  • Max Voltage 300V
  • Aluminum wire range: #12 - #10 solid AWG
  • Copper wire range: #18 - #10 solid and stranded AWG
  • UL486C Listed to meet US and Canadian standards
  • Temperature rating of insulating material: 105 degrees Celsius
  • Suitable for aluminum to aluminum, aluminum to copper and copper to copper wire splices

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
2,943 Posts
Funny story about tinned copper wires. About 15 years ago an elderly woman up the road was selling her house that my grandfather wired back in the 1940s +/-. The woman called my father to ask about an inspection she just failed. She was selling her house and the inspector said it was wired with Aluminum wire. My father sent me and it was the old cloth and rubber tinned copper wire. So much for inspections.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Funny story about tinned copper wires. About 15 years ago an elderly woman up the road was selling her house that my grandfather wired back in the 1940s +/-. The woman called my father to ask about an inspection she just failed. She was selling her house and the inspector said it was wired with Aluminum wire. My father sent me and it was the old cloth and rubber tinned copper wire. So much for inspections.
Yeh, I get a couple calls per year from realtors to check out aluminum wiring for the sale and it usually ends up either being the aluminum service conductors or tinned copper.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Electrician
1,837 Posts
Yeh, I get a couple calls per year from realtors to check out aluminum wiring for the sale and it usually ends up either being the aluminum service conductors or tinned copper.

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
I had a guy call me out once during a service upgrade because I removed copper and used aluminum…after I showed him the price difference he was cool with it lol!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts