Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi , just thought i'd introduce myself.
I'm a qualified carpenter/joiner unhappy and bored with my industry.
I was going around the local mining companies seeking employment as a trade assistant, even at entry level the money is way better than i get in my trade, anyway's i came across this one company that said "oh no , we don't hire Trades Assistants we only use Apprentices" , only by coincidence the HR manager was there in the office and heard my story i was spealing to the secretary and he basicaly offered me an apprenticeship. Inside i scoffed and thought "I cant afford to be an apprentice, Mortgages don't pay themselves!" So i started asking some questions and the pay is realy good, 1st year apprentice between $23 and $30 an hour which is a very respectable pay here in Australia. Also sponsorship from RioTinto because of the horrible skill shortage. I'v spoken to my wife and all sorts of other paople and they offer only encouragement to do it. And i want to do it.

So, i have a great mechanical mind, can solve problems, confident with any type of tool or machinery and enjoy new projects, but the thing i'm a little worried about is my math skills. I was no dummy at school and no mathamatician in class. Probably just bellow average because i was easily distracted and little interest in maths.

I started doing a little training in Triganometry, algebra, geometry and calculus and realises i know jack **** about it. I'v got quite a while untill i start college and will do some catch up work.

Did any of you find the Math extremely hard or struggled? How did you get around it?

I hope i'm doing the right thing.

Cheers

Thanks for reading.

Damon.

·
Licensed Electrician
171 Posts
If it's what you want to do, then go for it. If you really want to do it you'll figure out the math, I did. Good Luck........:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I don't know jack about trig, but I use it almost every day when I'm bendin' conduit.

You'll end up learning what you need to know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not particularly good at mathematics.

I was more of a "written communications" guy who liked to weld and build stuff. I got around it by not getting around it. There was no easier softer way than to do every single assignment that my instructer posted up and realize that it would soon get better(Which at the time meant that each day of class meant that I was one day closer to the end of the semester). I like the way that mathermatics is taught in trade schools as opposed to academic schools. In most cases though, its exclusive meaning that what skills one learns in a trade school don't transfer over to an academic shcool and vice versa. Stay commited man. I've had to take mathematics at about 5 different schools. It never gets easier. One thing that I have found is that the more I do and understand it, the more I actually like it. Some people just have a genetic inclination to do better in math. Don't worry about it. You'll be alright.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your encouraging comments. I appreciate it.
If i do finaly get the job i'll be doing a fair bit of underground work moving longwalls, sounds interesting enough. Also they said i might be getting involved in mining software development because of my computer and software skills. They have a lot of large and very technologicaly advanced projects coming up. I think the company is finding its very own niche in the industry.

Has anyone done any heavy industrial work?

Keep up the great web site:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cool

Thats the way life works. One never knows whats around the corner. Take it all a day at a time and who knows....thats the beauty of life. Atleast thats my opinion.:)

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Thanks for your encouraging comments. I appreciate it.
If i do finaly get the job i'll be doing a fair bit of underground work moving longwalls, sounds interesting enough. Also they said i might be getting involved in mining software development because of my computer and software skills. They have a lot of large and very technologicaly advanced projects coming up. I think the company is finding its very own niche in the industry.

Has anyone done any heavy industrial work?

Keep up the great web site:thumbsup:
Welcome to the board, sounds like it could be interesting for you in the future. Do what you need you need to for the math, I took a couple refresher classes between the Corps and college so I wasn't left behind. I found math in high school as boring as could be but very interesting presented in a different way in night school. As others mentioned I use trig for conduit offsets daily, so thinking as a teen "when will I ever use this" came back to kick me in the pants.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts