Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
A Good Electrician
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. I'm out here in California and I had an Issue today that was very embarrassing. My understanding Is that for 1" PVC Underground you must have a strap within 3' of a Box, termination, Etc and then supports every 3'. Come to find out after we set up 300' of trench this way, that's only if we are concrete encased? this particular trench is going to be back filled with sand and then gravel. do we no longer have to support in this scenario? Help!!
And I get it, we're buried in the ground. What do we need support for, but i'm just trying to keep to code, I thought?

·
A Good Electrician
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@3XDad, Yes. O.K. I can already tell I'm super wrong. But what's up with:

352.30 Securing and Supporting
PVC conduit shall be installed as a complete system as provided in 300.18 and shall be fastened so that movement from thermal expansion or contraction is permitted. PVC conduit shall be securely fastened and supported in accordance with 352.30(A) and (B).

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,537 Posts
@3XDad, Yes. O.K. I can already tell I'm super wrong. But what's up with:

352.30 Securing and Supporting
PVC conduit shall be installed as a complete system as provided in 300.18 and shall be fastened so that movement from thermal expansion or contraction is permitted. PVC conduit shall be securely fastened and supported in accordance with 352.30(A) and (B).
The PVC needs support above ground-- in the trench there is no need. When you come out of the ground you may need expansion joints straps etc.

·
ET rocks
2,875 Posts
You are correct in that 1" is supported at 3', but not UG. And concrete only changes your depth requirements in 300.5 or 300.50.(2011)

i'm curious how you did dat.

·
A Good Electrician
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O.K. Guys. I'm convinced I made a mistake but if the Code gives a requirement, they usually indicate when there are exceptions or "it's different in this or that case". Can anyone tell me when/where in the code it say's, "No strapping requirements underground."
I have done large underground jobs in the past and I assumed the strapping we did then had more to do with keeping the Conduit from "floating" in the slurry. Those where 4" to 6" conduits. When I read up about the 1" i was surprised at the 3' but just assumed it was because it's lighter and could "float" more easily. Again, this is when I was under the impression that we were pouring slurry.

·
Registered
15,055 Posts
O.K. Guys. I'm convinced I made a mistake but if the Code gives a requirement, they usually indicate when there are exceptions or "it's different in this or that case". Can anyone tell me when/where in the code it say's, "No strapping requirements underground."
I have done large underground jobs in the past and I assumed the strapping we did then had more to do with keeping the Conduit from "floating" in the slurry. Those where 4" to 6" conduits. When I read up about the 1" i was surprised at the 3' but just assumed it was because it's lighter and could "float" more easily. Again, this is when I was under the impression that we were pouring slurry.
Wouldn't the ground "support" it? If you are going to support it, what would you use, sand screws?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm sorry for this but .... Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha.
Seriously you are never going to live this down with your co-workers.
BUT ..... With inspectors you never know what they might want!

Sent from my iPhone using electriciantalk.com

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.