Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm more on the commercial side of the house...

Both the custom audio/video and even local electrician working on the CEO's mega house build wants the primary telco/cable feeds from X providers installed the IT Room (the majority of all the structure wiring, cross connects, etc_....

I am like no. The external to inside conduit will land in X room in which any utilities that needs to come out and troubleshoot, they will do it in X demarc and not step foot in the IT room. We will do the crossconnects from Demarc to where it needs to be

Both the local AV and electrician working on the house are saying the local utilities verify at the Pole and Not the House Demarc. This makes no sense from any troubleshooting standpoint nor have I ever recall a time where there was a problem and they *checked* the pole 1st. They always check the Demarc and then work they way backwards out. Maybe I should just step away from the CEO's house build and let whatever contractors he's using design where the utilites go...maybe they troubleshoot differently in the residential world.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
They always check the Demarc and then work they way backwards out. .
That is correct! Nobody is going to climb the pole if they don't have too.

Since the demarc is the property of the TELCO, it needs to be easily accessible by the TELCO. Specs call for the demarc to be mounted outside within 10ft of the power meter for access and grounding purposes.

The security company will tell you that the demarc must be installed in the house to prevent burglars from cutting the drop and disabling the alarm. Nonsense, the drop can easily be cut by accessing the serving terminal.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ty Wrapp said:
The security company will tell you that the demarc must be installed in the house to prevent burglars from cutting the drop and disabling the alarm. Nonsense, the drop can easily be cut by accessing the serving terminal.
And that's also reason to go cellular or cell backup.

I always run a demarcation on the outside near the meter as mentioned, also 2 coax to attic for clean dish installation if they ever want satellite, and then run everything into wherever the Systems cabinet will be, not by the electric panel.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
In most commercial buildings I work in they bring the demarc into the PABX room. On the left side of the frames in each picture are the telecom blocks and in the first pic different providers have put in bnt boxes which are labelled with sharpie haha.

In a house I believe a IP rated box should serve as a demarc and then horizontal cabling can run to the it room.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
And that's also reason to go cellular or cell backup.

I always run a demarcation on the outside near the meter as mentioned, also 2 coax to attic for clean dish installation if they ever want satellite, and then run everything into wherever the Systems cabinet will be, not by the electric panel.
When I had Verizon install FIOS (Fiber optic from the company switch to the home)for our cable TV, internet and telephone, I had them run it directly to a 2nd floor bedroom closet. (Now a spare/guest/computer room) and not down the exterior wall near the service. They had to leave about 75' coiled in the attic because their fiber drops come in precut lengths and it was either a lot left over, or maybe not make it, with the choices the tech had on his truck. The need to bond the drop to the service is moot as the line is non-conductive. Our 2nd home we have a cable company that provides cable, TV and internet over a buried .5" COAX which terminates by the electric meter. That house has an alarm as we are not there too often. You can bet in the spring when I re-do the UG electric service that I'm rerouting the coax into the garage slab and putting their bonding splitter there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.