Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, looks like Amazon Supply is trying to take market share away from us Electrical Distributors. Do you see this as a future threat? Do I close my shop? I know Home Depot tried this in the 90's and it was not successful.. Would love to hear from the end users their opinions..

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,490 Posts
That looks like a PITA to navigate. I tried entering a SQD HOM 2P30....It says no results, but if you go through a million pages, you can find it.

I wouldn't be too worried.:eek:

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
I go to Amazon for quite a bit, and I am a VERY big proponent of shopping locally.
If a supply house tells me 2-3 weeks for a piece of Halo track and shipping is extra, and I can get it from Amazon, with Prime, to my door within 2-4 days, for less money, who do you think is getting my order.

I must say, I don't bother with Amazon for day to day stuff. I have three supply houses (plus Lowes and HD) to choose from within minutes of my house.

Reactions: drspec

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Amazon Supply has been around for awhile

Its not as user friendly as Amazon's regular site, but you will need to know the specific item or name you are looking for.

Also, lots of items are cheaper on the normal Amazon site compared to Amazon Supply so you have to watch that.

·
Registered
14,589 Posts
I've been using amazon supply since before it was amazon supply for mechanical and lab parts. Used to be called Small Parts. I'm glad they are branching into electrical. I'd like to be able to source any part online without having to deal with some counter tard.

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
I buy most of my clothes and tools from Amazon but Amazon doesnt give me free coffee and lunch, allow me to do sidework on tickup, give me free loot or get me a PDL 692 within a 15 minute drive.

·
Can't Remember
11,044 Posts
Home Depot has HD Supply which was formerly Maintenance Warehouse. You can order from them online and it looks like they have actual locations too, not just distribution warehouses. Looks like one coming to my area soon. I still use the supply houses for most daily items as well as HD or Lowes. Same reasoning as others for Amazon. I use Amazon for the Levnet wireless switches I like or sometimes dimmers. Grainger for the same reason, someone local can't get it quick enough. There many times I can't wait 2-4 weeks for something.

·
Can't Remember
11,044 Posts
Its the same problem everyone has, how much and what do you keep in stock? If its something that I might need again, I'll try to get the guys to bring it in and maybe spread the word. They try to sell me stuff and I try to get them to carry items. I don't know how many times I have been to shows and spoke with reps about something new that I'd like to try and then go to order some to find out that they won't or I need to buy some quantity that I don't need. If you won't get it for me, I'll go someplace else. Just let me know fairly quickly that you can't or won't. It's not the end of the world either.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry guys for posting this multiple times and on different forums. The boss is all over me to decide whether we should catch up with the industry and offer e-commerce or continue with our traditional model. I thought the best way to answer that is with the guys buying and using the products. I thank you all for your valuable feedback.. Have a great weekend!!!

·
Can't Remember
11,044 Posts
Developing a good e commerce site is a great idea, but might not be cost effective for you. What do see as the problem? There is always going to be a limit to what you can carry, based upon the brands you represent and the usual battle of inventory. My first choice of supply house can be hard to get over the phone, but I can email or text the counter and they get it done quickly. I think excellent customer service and good relationships with your customers will more than offset this.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Home Depot has HD Supply which was formerly Maintenance Warehouse. You can order from them online and it looks like they have actual locations too, not just distribution warehouses. Looks like one coming to my area soon. I still use the supply houses for most daily items as well as HD or Lowes. Same reasoning as others for Amazon. I use Amazon for the Levnet wireless switches I like or sometimes dimmers. Grainger for the same reason, someone local can't get it quick enough. There many times I can't wait 2-4 weeks for something.
The HD Supply around here used to be a Hughes Supply.

·
Jesus Scott
9,382 Posts
Sorry guys for posting this multiple times and on different forums. The boss is all over me to decide whether we should catch up with the industry and offer e-commerce or continue with our traditional model. I thought the best way to answer that is with the guys buying and using the products. I thank you all for your valuable feedback.. Have a great weekend!!!

Imo if you have to ask you're already dead.

·
415 Posts
Since you asked, I have Platt's app just for research and pricing info. If they were anywhere close to DFW might actually do business with them just because of the app. However Elliott Electric has an app but last time I tried to use it, it was a laughable disaster. An app done correctly would allow your customers to order material from the jobsite, and then have it delivered or pick it up at will call, with less chance for human error than a traditional phone call. Might be a win/win depending on what an app costs to start up and run.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.