Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a new service using #1 aluminium.

Wire goes splitter, disconnect, meter, underground PVC pipe, panel.

The disconnect is rated 75 and can't find a temp rating on the meter or the panel and have not looked at the splitter yet.

Do I take my ampacity from the 75 column or the 90 column.

I need to size my bond for the PVC pipe but going by the 75 column I need #8 copper but using the 90 column I would need #6 wire copper.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,737 Posts
I am running a new service using #1 aluminium.

Wire goes splitter, disconnect, meter, underground PVC pipe, panel.

The disconnect is rated 75 and can't find a temp rating on the meter or the panel and have not looked at the splitter yet.

Do I take my ampacity from the 75 column or the 90 column.

I need to size my bond for the PVC pipe but going by the 75 column I need #8 copper but using the 90 column I would need #6 wire copper.
I assume you are doing a 100 amp service?
If that's the case, check your meter socket, bet it's not listed for aluminum! got busted on that once

·
Electrical Contractor
5,737 Posts
Meter sockets are rated @90 degrees, it seems everything else, including the breakers are 75degrees
2 #3 CU and 1 #6 bare in a 1" conduit

·
Electrical Contractor
5,737 Posts
Are you saying most meters are not rated for aluminum.

I will have to check in the morning, our shop order it knowing we were using aluminum.
The 100 amp ones aren't listed for AL, the 200s are.
At least 3 years ago they weren't. Got busted in Transcona of all places lol
They may be listed now as more services are using AL
Better check before you install it.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,737 Posts
I'll check in the morning and let you know.
I thought it was stupid, as the lugs in the meter socket are aluminum, but he turned it down because the label didn't say CU/AL.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Never seen a meter base that was not approved for aluminum wire. Imagine a 200 amp service.
4/0 aluminum from the utility to the line lugs and 250 KCM from the meter to the panel to accomodate the 75C rating of the main lugs.

Be careful of this rule as I think that the next code will default to 60 degrees where no temperature rating exists. I am not sure if that has been adopted yet.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,737 Posts
Meter was cu/al
thats good.
I wonder since they changed the cable temps, 75 vs 90, if the sockets were relabeled?
Either that or the brand that Westburne carried a few years ago, was a cheapo?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,669 Posts
POCO here never runs copper into meter sockets, only aluminum. I find it a bit difficult to believe 100 amp sockets do not allow alum, but I will check into this when there is some time. If so, then a very large class action is in order:devil2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.