Electrician Talk banner

Ampacity and Lug Temp

CEC 
5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  farlsincharge 
#1 ·
I am running a new service using #1 aluminium.

Wire goes splitter, disconnect, meter, underground PVC pipe, panel.

The disconnect is rated 75 and can't find a temp rating on the meter or the panel and have not looked at the splitter yet.

Do I take my ampacity from the 75 column or the 90 column.

I need to size my bond for the PVC pipe but going by the 75 column I need #8 copper but using the 90 column I would need #6 wire copper.

#6 ·
The 100 amp ones aren't listed for AL, the 200s are.
At least 3 years ago they weren't. Got busted in Transcona of all places lol
They may be listed now as more services are using AL
Better check before you install it.

#10 ·
Never seen a meter base that was not approved for aluminum wire. Imagine a 200 amp service.
4/0 aluminum from the utility to the line lugs and 250 KCM from the meter to the panel to accomodate the 75C rating of the main lugs.

Be careful of this rule as I think that the next code will default to 60 degrees where no temperature rating exists. I am not sure if that has been adopted yet.

#12 ·
thats good.
I wonder since they changed the cable temps, 75 vs 90, if the sockets were relabeled?
Either that or the brand that Westburne carried a few years ago, was a cheapo?

#14 ·
POCO here never runs copper into meter sockets, only aluminum. I find it a bit difficult to believe 100 amp sockets do not allow alum, but I will check into this when there is some time. If so, then a very large class action is in order:devil2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.