Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
cool cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to run #1 Al ser cable (4 conductor) to feed a 100 amp sub panel, in a residential setting .Since it is not NM I assume I can use table
310.15(B)(16) 75 degree column which allows me to put this sub feed on a 100 amp breaker.Is my reasoning right? What code reference directs me to SER cable.Article 338.10 (4) tells me to use the 60 degree column if installed in thermal insulation.I am running this thru a crawl space and up some interior walls with no insulation around the wire.Does this sound like a compliant installation?

·
cool cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I'd like to run # 2 ser as it would be a lot easier to work with , but it is a kitchen being remodeled including an electric range and some baseboards upstair ,tearing out some old kitchen circiuts might be able to splice them but it was impossible to tell because it was a homeowners special wiring job ,it was a mess 4 to 5 12-2s to at least 3 single gang boxes.Wire laying on the ground in the crawl space.:blink:
We are using the 2011 code in Mn right now.Don't have room in the existing 20 space 200 amp service panel.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Yeah I'd like to run # 2 ser as it would be a lot easier to work with , but it is a kitchen being remodeled including an electric range and some baseboards upstair ,tearing out some old kitchen circiuts might be able to splice them but it was impossible to tell because it was a homeowners special wiring job ,it was a mess 4 to 5 12-2s to at least 3 single gang boxes.Wire laying on the ground in the crawl space.:blink:
We are using the 2011 code in Mn right now.Don't have room in the existing 20 space 200 amp service panel.
#1 AL if going to 100amps. Electric base board can load up a panel fast. 75* sounds about right if no insulation is present.

BTW, make sure the stab will allow for a 100amp branch, some older panels don't or limit both breakers across from each other adding up over a certain amperage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.