Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Elderly Decrepit Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Part One) Out of the blue, I am approached by a guy looking for work. He shows me two masters licenses, one from Maine, the other from North Carolina with his name on them. While I didn't really need another guy on the payroll, I felt bad by his plea and story & he borrowed money. I right away put him to work with another man at a very large body shop. They were to add a second 200A. interior panel for extra circuits tapped from a 400A. 3Ph meter feeding only one existing 200A panel. This guy pulled the meter, pulled off the load side conductors, exchanged 1 barrel lugs for 2 barrel and reattached the load feeders plus the new panel feeders. When they re-energized the power, my men blew 45 fluorescent ballast transformers, 2 window a/c units, small employee refrigerators, employee kitchen appliances and their answering machine & music equipment among other things.
The new guy insisted on working the connections and re-inserted the load wires differently that caused the high leg (208V) to burn all of the above mentioned. Needless to say, I was pissed. But when I asked him - Why? he only could say that he "put everything back the way it was removed"
I had my other guy re-ballast and relamp plus replace everything over a weekend. After that, I had him work with another crew doing a CVS pharmacy to a giant sports bar conversion (you can see pics from my website) The new guy borrowed money for emergency purposes and continued borrowing from my employees. He tried selling two brand new cell phones with cameras that no one took him up on. I let him take a company truck home and then he didn't return to work anymore. I had to track down his real address to find my truck as he gave a ficticious address. The truck was missing the truck stocked tools and a completely empty gas tank. The house where it parked at was empty as well.
After this, my guys told me about the cell phones and loans they made with him and that he barely worked at the site. Why I had to find this out later was beyond me.
But it doesn't end there...
Ready for part two?

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
my last helper was snorting oxicontin in the porta potty in a vault job - when i say vault, all banks have a central lockbox in major cities , its where the armored cars load and unload before or after going to the branch banks
the security is something out of a movie :eek: i cant describe all of it but it involves an FBI background check to start - this guy was getting high in the crapper and was sweating and being a junkie during the day - the guy who was assigned to watch me , whose first comment to me was "dont make me get my .45 and everything will be all right" asked me what the :censored: is wrong with that guy needless to say it was stressful - he was let go the next day
i still dont know how he passed his background check - he never blew anything up though

·
Elderly Decrepit Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whose first comment to me was "dont make me get my .45 and everything will be all right" asked me what the :censored: is wrong with that guy needless to say it was stressful - he was let go the next day
i still dont know how he passed his background check - he never blew anything up though
That was too funny.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
How about telling the bosses wife after plenty to drink at the Christmas part, that hes taken 10 minutes a day to go jerk off in the porta john for the past year and thanked her for extra weeks paid vacation he had gotten just wacking it. And also he was "shooting" for two weeks the next year.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
i hate crapping in the crappers i couldnt imagine .. well thats at least the filthiest electrician out there

·
Elderly Decrepit Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Part Two - With the same employee that disappeared

Part Two -
After this State of Maine/NC licensed guy disappeared having me go get my truck; I was contacted by a cell phone retail store saying that this guy came into their store (with our company truck parked outside) said he needed to buy the two cell phones and that the company would later pay that day. They saw our truck outside, told him ok and later that day he was pushing the cell phones on my other guys. I had to tell them that I didn't authorize the purchase & that ended that.
Then a month later, we get a call from one of our local supply houses asking us if we had a guy working in Alabama. When we acknowledged that we didn't, we contacted their sister company in Alabama to find that this same former employee (using a fictitious name) placed an order of more than $10,000 to our company name & later to be picked up. We immediately ordered the cops, they caught him when he came with a Uhaul and then he was identified. The cops had to let him go because they nabbed him before he could take possession of the stuff. Then we find out that while he worked for us, he was going through sentencing for having scammed another company for under $20,000 and skipped town on us to avoid his jail time when ordered to report. So now, he's running around the country taking from companies and whom ever. We were contacted a couple of months later saying that he got caught again and they extridited him, and gave him 11 months - soon to be released and we have no recourse for what he attempted with us. (In Alabama, there's no law against attempted fraud) I don't know if it's legal to mention his name even though it's public info since his arrest for the other conviction, but eberyone should look out to not hire this guy.:mad:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,115 Posts
Can you contact the agencies that issued his licenses and report him? If what he's done affects his license, they can cancel it, or at least not renew it.

One place I worked for almost went through the same thing. Had a guy who did resi work, and he made the mistake of offering his 'services' to the company's largest resi customer. They called the office, and he was fired as soon as he got back to the shop. I, along with my helper, was sent to finish up his job, and we found dozens of boxes of material on the job. We spent the day organizing it, and found he had 'stockpiled' thousands of devices. Enough to do scores of homes. I can understand having an extra device for a job, such as a couple 3-ways or range/dryer receps, but he had 47 4-way switches squirreled away. We have no idea if he ever stole any material, but surely he either had, or was planning to soon.

·
Elderly Decrepit Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To answer the question regarding his licensing agencies; His licenses don't exist in their systems.
One item I didn't mention in part 1 or 2 below; After the 45 ballast blow out fiasco, he offered an opportunity for our company involvement in a massive 100 unit quadraplex residential housing project of which he held blue prints. This enabled my placing the fiasco behind me and allow his mention to the forefront. He then mentioned having already talked to the developer and general in my behalf. Having said this, he proceeded to request copies of my liability (normal) and my state license (also normal) to a fax number provided.
Upon my return to the office, I attempted the fax but the number he provided didn't take it (Luckily for us) because as it turned out, (only a guess) he may have used our company info to forge his own name)
After this, we didn't hear from him again until the incident in Alabama.

His order to the supply house was $10,694.00 worth of 4/0 THHN & 250 MCM copper. A field day for the scrap yard guy and instant cash for him.

Becarful out there fellas. Can't trust anybody anymore.:(

·
Golden Controls
616 Posts
Damn scam artist extraordinaire. I remember when I was but a wee first year apprentice and the jw I was working under was fired due to failing a random drug test, he walked out the door got in his truck drove to CED and bought as much 500,750, and 1000 MCM they would give him, the problem is he had a PO number that was for a very large renovation that would require such wire.

He's now serving a prison sentence for theft :lol:

·
Elderly Decrepit Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Permission to post link to mug shot of this individual

I already asked permission from Nathan (Administrator) to whether I could post this guys mug shot and arrest info regarding his fraud conviction. Mainly for the efforts on my part to warn all of you. Just like the retail stores with posted bad checks, you could keep the photo at your ready for when this guy shows at your door wanting a job.

I was actually on the case of the local police dept. that had let him go. it can be read how they deter crime and they pride themselves for it, but it also lets he bad guys get away. With forewarning, they should have waited until he signed his make believe name on the ticket and then caught him loading at least. But instead, they immediately approached him at the counter, his actual name surfaced and he gave a lame excuse of the materials were for a "Elco Electrical Contracting of Ocala" not "Alco" and the cop said "oh'..Ok" and let him go.
For anyone wondering, there is no such company called "Elco" anywhere. I caused a big stink with them and now the police in that jurisdiction would like to arrest me if they could. My back and forth with them was monitored by Florida cops friends and a shame for that department.
Since then, they have reopened to charge the individual but backed off by their district attorney stating the lack of evidence. Too little-too late.
Now, what he tried to do, he gets away with it. But the least I could do is warn all of you.

·
Registered
32,768 Posts
i hate crapping in the crappers i couldnt imagine .. well that's at least the filthiest electrician out there
I caught an apprentice hiding in the porta potty drinking beer as we unloaded a truck on a 100 degree day I figured this out as every time a truck showed up he disappeared, I just did not know about the beer.

Excellent white collar guy OD'd on Opium.
Excellent electrician blew his brains out after 3rd DUI.
Long time employee beat his wife's girl friend 1/2 to death looking at 20 to 40.
Secretary was passing out at work after doing OTC's.
Apprentice gets 10-20 bank robbery.

And I have a headache.

·
Proud Navy Veteran
1,429 Posts
I caught an apprentice hiding in the porta potty drinking beer as we unloaded a truck on a 100 degree day I figured this out as every time a truck showed up he disappeared, I just did not know about the beer.

Excellent white collar guy OD'd on Opium.
Excellent electrician blew his brains out after 3rd DUI.
Long time employee beat his wife's girl friend 1/2 to death looking at 20 to 40.
Secretary was passing out at work after doing OTC's.
Apprentice gets 10-20 bank robbery.

And I have a headache.
Now wonder people like me have a hard time getting jobs, we don't have crimanl backgrounds and respect societies laws. LOL I need to tell my parents everything they taught me about rules, laws, and responsiblity is all wrong. LOL

·
Elderly Decrepit Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You didn't check these out before you hired him?
Unlike some huge companies that take weeks for background and all other checks, I take people for their word. I mean, why would a guy lie when applying for a job. His credentials seemed good (without putting them under a microscope) and I seemed impressed. While curious about his circumstances, he divulged his financial situation and while begging me for work. My wife usually does the background and he didn't show because... While sentencing for him for another crime had occurred, anything pending wouldn't show. It wasn't until after he took off, that my wife learned that he was wanted for not surrendering to the jail when on bail. Then the cops that nabbed him in Alabama :detective: didn't do a background either because they said that their computers were down for maintenance (but they could have checked a neighboring jurisdiction but didn't and they took him for his word too. So, he duped us all. :icon_evil:
(Still waiting from the moderator if ok to post a link on him)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.