Electrician Talk banner

An occupancy sensor to control under cabinet lighting?

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  bobelectric 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed an occupancy sensor to control under cabinet lighting? I was thinking about this for an elderly couple i recently did work for.

Would be better for getting up in the middle of the night to get a drink not having to turn on all the bright kitchen lights. You walk into the kitchen and the under cabinet lights come on giving you enough light to pour a drink. The lady walks with a cane too so if she has a drink in one hand and the cane in the other she wont have to worry about hitting the switch.

She has cabinets wrapping around almost the whole kitchen with under cab lighting under them all.

#3 ·
Aint happenin in this kitchen layout and finished basement with rocked in cielings. And going up and around to the new 3 way switch location is not really an option either without lots of sheetrock damage.

#4 ·
I'm not sure if you are questioning the idea of it or not.
The downfall is these lights would be on a lot more during the day then needed.

You could use one of those switches where you just need to touch the hinge to control the lights.
I always give the options and the costs of each option.
Busting out the drywall is almost always the most expensive, but also the most picked. I don't do drywall either.

#8 ·
I agree sweet idea, I think your customer could benefit from it simple and easy to install. I put motion sensors in my kitchen, laundry,bathroom and garage because my wife didn't like walking into a dark room. She drove me nuts leaving the lights on all the time. Problem solved light's aren't on all night and she was happy....:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.