Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am troubleshooting a welder issue. It seems to be cutting out and smoldering sporadically without any real reason or pattern.

It is a 455M Lincoln @ 600V 3ph. 30A Disco and the welder has been replaced 2 times so it is brand new.

The 600V is coming directly from the supply authority, outside transformer.

When the welder is being used it reads 600V 60Hz with about 8-9A. on each leg. When it starts to smolder the current reads about 2A but the volt still reads 600V.

One thing I did notice was when another machine is being used it jumps to 180Hz at the splitter.

Another welders does the same thing but not as often on the other side of the shop. And also the poco hit a line while digging but have since repaired it.

I am wondering if someone might have some troubleshooting tips for this or if its on the supply side to narrow it down to this.

Thanks alot

·
Registered
166 Posts
What parts failed in the previous welders? What parts are smoldering? Where did you measure 180 hz, input or output? If it is input, then it is probably harmonics from the welder, if it is output, then you're might be reading pulsating DC from diodes or SCR's.

Have you checked with the manufacturer to see if they could give you any troubleshooting help? They should know their machines & failure modes better than anyone.

·
Registered
32,115 Posts
Tom pretty much summed oit up.

Are you the only user on this transformer?

What size service?

What is the other equipment in the facility, VFD's, soft starts PF correction Caps, multiple welders?

Myself I would install a line disturbance analyzer on the circuit, but few electricians have access to one. So utilize a min/max DMM and amp clamp, place on the line and see what is going on as the welder has it problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts