Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here be the 200 amp version. A changeout obviously, the old service was just a steel meterbase that lasted about 30 years. It had 4/0 seu feeding a main breaker 200amp panel about 30 feet away.

Meter is poco supplied and they won't let us penetrate top or side. 200amp 8-16 feeds 200amp main lug with 250 ser for deration.[URL="http://[/URL]

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
Nice job! I'm down with everything except not being able to enter the top of the meter. Like, if there's a tidal storm surge it's gonna make any difference...

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
The quality of the work is just fine but I can't help but notice so many things about it would be rejected and or/questioned in my area.

#1 Bare ground wire run exposed and not protected from damage would be a fail.

#2 Why install PVC bushings on PVC pipe???

#3 No SE cable. We can use a cable for the load side of the switch but its going to need to be an armored cable.

#4 The main switch never gets located outside.

#5 Our poco has no issues with top entry into a meter base as long as the base is rated for it.

#6 Everything is mounted on the wooden lats......we would have been required to use a pressure treated plywood back board.

#7 The cable would have to enter the switch using the KO's on the back.

#8 That switch would require a barrier between the main breaker and those stabs for branch circuit breakers.

Again...nothing wrong with your work its just interesting to me to notice the differences in what is allowed in others jurisdictions.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
This is why I don't post pictures of my work

Switch gear looks off level

Riser is off level.

How long do you expect that wood to hold up? Would have installed a backer board and installed the equipment on it.

SE cable is subject to damage, would have ran schedule 80.

Probably a 1/2" PVC sleeve to protect the ground wire

Nice radiuses on the wires:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
The quality of the work is just fine but I can't help but notice so many things about it would be rejected and or/questioned in my area.

#3 No SE cable. We can use a cable for the load side of the switch but its going to need to be an armored cable.

#5 Our poco has no issues with top entry into a meter base as long as the base is rated for it.

#6 Everything is mounted on the wooden lats......we would have been required to use a pressure treated plywood back board.

#8 That switch would require a barrier between the main breaker and those stabs for branch circuit breakers.

Again...nothing wrong with your work its just interesting to me to notice the differences in what is allowed in others jurisdictions.

Whats the reasoning behind that? :blink:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

bushings are required on all pipes with wire larger than #6 here. im pretty sure its #6 not positive though

·
332 Posts
five.five-six said:
Switch gear looks off level

Riser is off level.

How long do you expect that wood to hold up? Would have installed a backer board and installed the equipment on it.

SE cable is subject to damage, would have ran schedule 80.

Probably a 1/2" PVC sleeve to protect the ground wire

Nice radiuses on the wires:thumbup:
You say that's why you don't put pics of your work on here. Is that because your work has a riser that's not level, or "switch gear" that's off level? (Not sure how you can tell that from the pics, but ok) Would you have installed the backer board to the same wood lathe? If so, wouldn't that be the same as installing it directly to it? If the wood falls apart, having an extra piece of plywood on it isn't going to stop it. Just questions.

·
332 Posts
five.five-six said:
If it's raining and a breaker needs to be exercised.
If the service entrance cable enters the structure and travels more than a minimal distance, there has to be a disconnect outside. What if those outdoor spaces are going to be used to feed outdoor equipment that's located near this panel, or a detached garage? Seems like a great idea to me.

·
Registered
7,503 Posts
You say that's why you don't put pics of your work on here. Is that because your work has a riser that's not level, or "switch gear" that's off level? (Not sure how you can tell that from the pics, but ok) Would you have installed the backer board to the same wood lathe? If so, wouldn't that be the same as installing it directly to it? If the wood falls apart, having an extra piece of plywood on it isn't going to stop it. Just questions.
No, I say that because no matter how good the work is, jerks like me are going to nitpick it to death. It's like the national pastime on EC.

It was a nice install, I do think that the screws will probably fail within 5 years on that installation. Marine grade plywood fastened to the post would probably last a lot longer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.