Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When LEDs catch up to CFLs in terms of reliability and affordability, do you believe there will be any reason to continue buying CFLs?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,625 Posts
To dim or not to dim, that is the question.....

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We acquired our most recent building about a year ago. The previous owners/tenants were all 9-5 businesses and had the common/security lights on a timer. They were about 50/50 T12 fluorescents and incandescents. First thing I did was bypass the timer, as our functions do not adhere to any sort of regular schedule. Second thing I did was replace all the bulbs (and in some cases, fixtures) with CFLs. This wasnt cheap (by our standards, at least) as it involved several dozen PAR CFLs.

Recently I added an additional security light (recessed can with a black baffle) and decided to experiment with different bulbs. I bought a couple different PAR CFLs and LEDs. Sure enough, both of the LEDs blew both of the CFLs out of the water. It really made me want to replace the rest of the CFLs, at least the PARs, with LEDs, but it simply wasnt in the budget.

My issues with CFLs:

1. The warm up time. R and PAR CFLs are really bad about this. Especially annoying when motion sensors are involved.
2. The "throw", or beam focus. To me, it always seems like even with PAR CFLs the light pretty much goes everywhere, unlike a true PAR bulb where you have a circle of light several yards ahead.
3. The color. I think everyone has this issue.
4. Dimmability.

Per my understanding, LEDs solve all of these.

Only issue so far, it seems harder to find LEDs in higher wattage equivalents like 200w, 300w, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.