Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Too bad you couldn't start putting your "greater than 50 volts" feed and 24vdc power supply in a separate small cabinet for the sake of electrical safety. I've seen many cabinets come through lately with that stuff inside of a small box inside of the main cabinet. Generally with a clear plastic cover.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Too bad you couldn't start putting your "greater than 50 volts" feed and 24vdc power supply in a separate small cabinet for the sake of electrical safety. I've seen many cabinets come through lately with that stuff inside of a small box inside of the main cabinet. Generally with a clear plastic cover.
We never segregated anything when I worked at the machine builder, unless it was a customer spec.

Pratt and Whitney and GE require separation on their machine tools except in the main cabinet where it's virtually impossible to keep it separated.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
We never segregated anything when I worked at the machine builder, unless it was a customer spec.

Pratt and Whitney and GE require separation on their machine tools except in the main cabinet where it's virtually impossible to keep it separated.
O the times, they are a changin.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Every year that goes by, there is increased focus on electrical safety. The best way to do that, as a panel builder, is to keep the panels that are most likely to need troubleshot inside of free of circuits operating at greater than 50 volts when possible.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nrp3 said:
Forgive the stupid questions, but what is a penetrant system? I'm pretty far removed from industrial stuff. I have done one vfd in my whole career. That's about the sum of my industrial.
A liquid that is sprayed on parts to show cracks and imperfections under a black light.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Every year that goes by, there is increased focus on electrical safety. The best way to do that, as a panel builder, is to keep the panels that are most likely to need troubleshot inside of free of circuits operating at greater than 50 volts when possible.
Right. As I said, some large manufacturers are with or ahead of the curve of industry safety trends. On the other hand, a lot of smaller companies that build or buy machine tools are still in the dark ages.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MDShunk said:
That would be great but would take twice the size cabinet. Wasn't only about ten years ago we started I stalling finger guards on everything.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
That would be great but would take twice the size cabinet. Wasn't only about ten years ago we started I stalling finger guards on everything.
Nah. Just a different layout. I think I have some pics.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
That might look like a MicroLogix 1400, that uses typical I/O. In fact, it is not. It's one of those old MacDonald controllers, which uses EIEI/O.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.