Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the more prevalant entities of the ever quintessential state of Vermont is the Historical society. Their mission to preserve and protect artifact and authenticity is second to none.

Anyone whos delved into local lore can count on some level of help sorting out details centuries gone.

However, their reach is a tad more than simply historic archiving, extending itself into present day architecture , even to the influence of electrical infrastructure.

And so i'm caught between the poco's doctrine of placing a meter on the gable street facing side of a dwelling, and the historical societies insistence that the structure's historical value is degraded by such an install.

They've openly stated our installs as historically incorrect, and any argument as to electricity and electric meters being around long enough to qualify as historical in and of themselves fell on deaf ears.....

One actually asked me for a $$$ to bury a miles of lines on main street :rolleyes:

They're even so insensitive as to use the word 'ugly' in their description of things electrical. Personally, i think some of my installs quaify as art, maybe falling short of Van Goethe status , ok i've installed a few Picassos....maybe a Warhole or two...:whistling2:

It would be easy for me to point out the screaming hypocrisy of these brickenstock wearing ipod bearing trustifarians with a monstrous sense of entitlement , but i have to be nice and work with them.

Any tips on dealing with these sorts? Do i show up in period garb? Throw my tools in a horse & buggy? Does Milbank sell any barnboard sided meters?:001_huh:

~CS~

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
One of the more prevalant entities of the ever quintessential state of Vermont is the Historical society. Their mission to preserve and protect artifact and authenticity is second to none.

Anyone whos delved into local lore can count on some level of help sorting out details centuries gone.

However, their reach is a tad more than simply historic archiving, extending itself into present day architecture , even to the influence of electrical infrastructure.

And so i'm caught between the poco's doctrine of placing a meter on the gable street facing side of a dwelling, and the historical societies insistence that the structure's historical value is degraded by such an install.

They've openly stated our installs as historically incorrect, and any argument as to electricity and electric meters being around long enough to qualify as historical in and of themselves fell on deaf ears.....

One actually asked me for a $$$ to bury a miles of lines on main street :rolleyes:

They're even so insensitive as to use the word 'ugly' in their description of things electrical. Personally, i think some of my installs quaify as art, maybe falling short of Van Goethe status , ok i've installed a few Picassos....maybe a Warhole or two...:whistling2:

It would be easy for me to point out the screaming hypocrisy of these brickenstock wearing ipod bearing trustifarians with a monstrous sense of entitlement , but i have to be nice and work with them.

Any tips on dealing with these sorts? Do i show up in period garb? Throw my tools in a horse & buggy? Does Milbank sell any barnboard sided meters?:001_huh:

~CS~
Todays excuse for another word spew.

Reactions: sbrn33

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Did you ever ask them what year 'history' starts? Is it a fixed date, say, 1835, or is it a sliding time, perhaps 145 years from the present?

Since they have the power and you or anyone else doesn't, your only tactic is to go along with their "ideas", or start a grassroots movement to effect a coupe.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Methinks their historic view is kinda stuck in 1914 at best Craig......~CS~

·
Registered
Electrician
4,427 Posts

~CS~
Apparently Google Translate doesn't go back in time far enough to translate your posts! Could anyone recommend a CS translator?:whistling2:

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
go ahead, laugh....

you'se guys will all be sorry when i'm writing speeches for the next prez !
;)
~CS~

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,162 Posts
With their money and your time, does it matter what they want?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,678 Posts
I've seen enough pictures of how you guys install services around the New England area. There is no such thing as Van Gogh or even close in all the shots I looked at. More like Picasso. I agree with your old biddies. Ugly.

Have a nice day.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
I would just sell them an underground system. More money and a better looking job. Most of them will not balk at an underground meter and riser once they know they have to have something.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
99cents said:
Committee: This is what we want. Chicken man: This is what it will cost. Committee: Oh....
. Exactly ! You can always give the historical committee the option to go even farther back in time to when there was no electricity ? Ask then what their candle budget is , lol ?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,678 Posts
Remind then that in the really old days, cavemen smacked women over the head with their clubs when they got uppity.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
chicken steve said:
One of the more prevalant entities of the ever quintessential state of Vermont is the Historical society. Their mission to preserve and protect artifact and authenticity is second to none. Anyone whos delved into local lore can count on some level of help sorting out details centuries gone. However, their reach is a tad more than simply historic archiving, extending itself into present day architecture , even to the influence of electrical infrastructure. And so i'm caught between the poco's doctrine of placing a meter on the gable street facing side of a dwelling, and the historical societies insistence that the structure's historical value is degraded by such an install. They've openly stated our installs as historically incorrect, and any argument as to electricity and electric meters being around long enough to qualify as historical in and of themselves fell on deaf ears..... One actually asked me for a $$$ to bury a miles of lines on main street :rolleyes: They're even so insensitive as to use the word 'ugly' in their description of things electrical. Personally, i think some of my installs quaify as art, maybe falling short of Van Goethe status , ok i've installed a few Picassos....maybe a Warhole or two...:whistling2: It would be easy for me to point out the screaming hypocrisy of these brickenstock wearing ipod bearing trustifarians with a monstrous sense of entitlement , but i have to be nice and work with them. Any tips on dealing with these sorts? Do i show up in period garb? Throw my tools in a horse & buggy? Does Milbank sell any barnboard sided meters?:001_huh: ~CS~
. Underground service at an agreeable spot by the utility and commission . They pay a restoration painter to paint meter pan and conduit to look like the building ? What else can you do ? Tell them not to slow down when they drive by . I wouldn't last long at all in that town , lol !

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having to cross a street nixed any UG avenues, so now it looks like a shed dormer around the side of the joint, all colonial white of course!......

Honestly, some days i wish i was a tile guy, everyone goes 'OOOooooooOOhhh' when their work is done
~CS~

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
If we all put on our CS deciphering goggles....

This

~CS~

turns into this

These Historical people are real eggheads. They want me to install a meter on the side of a historical house. What idiots...Don't they know the house never had electric, and it's gonna look ugly.

How do you guys handle idiots like this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts