Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,
I've recently gained interest in becoming an electrician. However I am almost 23 years old and have very little if any electrical know-how. A friend of mine recently told me that IBEW, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, has an apprenticeship program. Now, he told me that all you had to do was pass a test, written exam basically to enter the program in which the union will hire you on as a paid trainee as well as pay for schooling to learn about electrician stuff..... ;)

Now, I was under the assumption that you had to have 4,000 hours of on the job experience to join an apprentice program with IBEW.

Can someone clarify? I don't know what route should be taken for someone with no experience at all....

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Welcome!

Netsafe, #1) Don't assume. #2) The 4000 hrs are towards your apprenticeship. We all start with ZERO hrs. so consider the source.

#3) I was a truck driver at age 22 when I got laid off. (whats a screw driver:blink: ). And a mutual friend turned me onto a guy that needed a hand (1981).

Now I'm "Lovin' every minuet of it"! (can ya tell I'm old?)

This is a perfect time to get into the feild. Go for it and good luck!!

PS: Don't let those snotty nosed little eighteen year olds (that have a head start on you and are running work) get to you. Learn from them!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
#2) The 4000 hrs are towards your apprenticeship. We all start with ZERO hrs. so consider the source.
Thanks, and hey guys.
Not sure what your sayin about the 4,000 tho, Do I need the 4,000 before joining the apprenticeship as a requirment or is the 4,000 gained after joining the apprenticeship?

I just need my foot in the door really, I'm looking forward to the challenge of re-learning algebra for one thing.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Get your foot in the door. Then the clock starts.

---Do I need the 4,000 before joining the apprenticeship as a requirment --

Think about it, How do you start in the middle?

Go for it!! You'll only regret the start of it! Like a saveings acount, You gotta' be in it a while before you realize the dividends!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do non union electrical companies often hire people with no experience? I was offered a job with a small company out here awhile ago, he made it seem like he didn't care I had no experience....Ill probably start there if so

·
Registered
486 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Welcome Netsafe work OJT with Lic Cont. Learn tools and listen When you get your license you can go anywhere and make a living. How much a living is based of skill and luck. Good luck to you. I have been doing this since 1977.;)

·
Registered
294 Posts
You have to start somewhere and the union knows that. They hire people with lots of experience or people with no experience. You can definitely get hired on with no experience. The union wants the opportunity to train guys from the ground up.

·
Registered
31,141 Posts
1. OJT On the Job Training, you do not need hours to join the IBEW.
2. All most all experience (s) can be good.
3. Work for a firm that offers training.
4. If you can get with an organization that gives you free training, health and welfare, vacation or holidays and retirement you will be better off in the long run, IN MY OPINION. This is generally one of the benefits of the IBEW

·
Registered
367 Posts
The IBEW is great to work for if you can get in as an apprentice they will take you with little or no experience. If you don't get in right away i would suggest going to a 2 year trade school. Most trade schools offer job placement and the instructors have contractors requesting temp help all the time. Allowing you to get some on the job trainning as well. You don't need to spend alot of money I dont know where you live but Los Angeles Trade Technical College has a great program and the ibew has sent students there in the past to learn electrical. Going there for two years then about an additional year in the field I was hired in as a journeyman ibew 2295 at age 21. Now at age 27 still with the same company as electrical foreman. So as you can see as long as you have the desire and push you can have a great career ahead of you.

Thanks,
p_logix

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go for it! I was 23 when I started and I'm almost 6000 hours into my apprenticeship. I had to listen to kids younger then me, and at first it kind of bothered me but after a few weeks I realized that I know nothing and really started taking a major interest in the field. I love my job now and come home everyday with more knowledge and questions, so I open my code book and figure out the answers. Having a boss and foreman that care really helps. Luckly for me my boss took me under his wing like a son and taught me everything I know today. To me that is really important, you must not only learn how to to something but also why. Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as possible and pay attention to everything you do! Don't get down when at first all you do is grunt work. You have to start somewhere. I started out doing residential and about 6-8 months ago started commercial. Bottom line everyday is different except for production housing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good stuff. Think all my questions were answered perfectly, and appreciate the responses. I located the IBEW office nearest to me, pretty close so I hope I can get in.

One last thing, Is math a huuuge part of electrician work? or is it background knowledge? I only ask cus I always hated math when I was younger, now that Im a little older I feel I can learn it and retain it better, just not sure what to look at.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Going to Apply in person on Feb. 27, I just missed the Jan 23 date,bummer. They only accept applications on the 4th wed of every month.

All I need to apply(doesn't mean guaranteed entry)
Birth Cert
Drivers License
High school Diploma
Transcripts showing 2 semesters of passed algebra, which I'm not sure I completed, but we'll see...I did get my G.E.D tho, Ill check my transcript out when I go get them today.

After applying, Passing the 2 hour exam with a 70% or more, I would have to wait 4-6 weeks for an interview.

Hope all goes well, wish me luck will ya. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I was 29 when I entered my apprenticeship. If this is something that you really want to do, don't let anyone, or any preconcieved notions stand in your way. Invest the time in your apprenticeship, learn to do the work safely, and welcome to the trade, you will no be disappointed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great, I was thinking 23-24 was a late start, as 18-19 would have been ideal, It doesn't really matter though as I've talked to a few people about it.

Ill post up any news with the process.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts