Electrician Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, Just another newbie from Northern California. I've been a Local 340 Union Electrician for 14 years now. I've worked In locals from Reno to the Bay Area. I've found myself joining many forums these days as they are a great source of information. I do hold a Ca. lic in anticipation of eventually starting a business. For a little variety, I worked as a construction manager for a Solar development company. It was very interesting helping with design and project development of large scale PV power plants. For the last 10 years, I've installed a wide range of solar systems and have always enjoyed helping friends and family with their PV projects. Anyway enough about me, Im looking forward to hearing about what you guys are working on.

·
Ambassador of Amps
9,518 Posts
HI Welcome to the site. Im from the bay area as well.

~Matt

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hello, I'm from Sacto also, except the non-union variety lol. How do you like local 340? I've been thinking about joining up, but haven't made up my mind.

I've noticed that you guys have been moving people on and off book 1 and book 2 alot... do you guys have alot of work or just small things popping up?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome. As it is all over the country, 340 is a little slow. From what I'm seeing, it is moving a lot quicker than all of the neighboring locals. As far as going Union, I think a lot of brothers here will agree when I say it was one of the best decisions I ever made. It's always treated my family and I well. Good luck and let me know if you need any help with who to contact... Bob

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Welcome :thumbsup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. As it is all over the country, 340 is a little slow. From what I'm seeing, it is moving a lot quicker than all of the neighboring locals. As far as going Union, I think a lot of brothers here will agree when I say it was one of the best decisions I ever made. It's always treated my family and I well. Good luck and let me know if you need any help with who to contact... Bob
What are the big companies that are based in local 340? Collins, Schetter, Placer, and Rosedin?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are the big companies that are based in local 340? Collins, Schetter, Placer, and Rosedin?

Those are the bigger companies. There's also Redwood City, CMSH, and there's always some of the bigger guys from the bay at any given time.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Those are the bigger companies. There's also Redwood City, CMSH, and there's always some of the bigger guys from the bay at any given time.
Thats cool... I saw CMSH was doing a job in Roseville, first time I've ever seen/heard of them, although I've only been in the trade for 4years lol.

Who do you work for? How does it work if lets say Cupertino or Rosedin comes from the bay, do they bring there own guys from the bay or do they only have the option of getting people out of 340?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats cool... I saw CMSH was doing a job in Roseville, first time I've ever seen/heard of them, although I've only been in the trade for 4years lol.

Who do you work for? How does it work if lets say Cupertino or Rosedin comes from the bay, do they bring there own guys from the bay or do they only have the option of getting people out of 340?
I've never worked for them but I think they've been around a while. I'm currently working for L&H Airco. Lately I've been sitting at home waiting for some projects to start.

I'm not sure of the exact # but when contractors come into town, they can only bring a few people. I was just working for my company in another local and they only let two of us at a time clear through their hall. Just heard today that we have 150 on book 1 and out of 8 calls 2 went all the way to the back of book 1. Hopefully things are looking up
:thumbup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've never worked for them but I think they've been around a while. I'm currently working for L&H Airco. Lately I've been sitting at home waiting for some projects to start.

I'm not sure of the exact # but when contractors come into town, they can only bring a few people. I was just working for my company in another local and they only let two of us at a time clear through their hall. Just heard today that we have 150 on book 1 and out of 8 calls 2 went all the way to the back of book 1. Hopefully things are looking up
:thumbup:
That's cool L&H Airco=Luppen and Hawley? My old company did a project where they were the Mechanical company, so pretty cool electricians that were working for them, quite friendly even to non-union guys lol.

What do you mean by the bold? Out of the 150 people on book 1, that those 8 calls went through almost all those people to like the 150th person on the list?

I'm so confused on how the books work, I've asked questions it in the union forum, but still am confused as they say its local particular. How does 340 do there books? I'm actually thinking about stopping by some time next week to the 340 headquarters to get some information.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's cool L&H Airco=Luppen and Hawley? My old company did a project where they were the Mechanical company, so pretty cool electricians that were working for them, quite friendly even to non-union guys lol.

What do you mean by the bold? Out of the 150 people on book 1, that those 8 calls went through almost all those people to like the 150th person on the list?

I'm so confused on how the books work, I've asked questions it in the union forum, but still am confused as they say its local particular. How does 340 do there books? I'm actually thinking about stopping by some time next week to the 340 headquarters to get some information.
I apologize for the late response. L&H is a different company than Luppen and Hawley. We do primarily HVAC Controls.

The way the books work is like this. Book 1 is journeyman who went through the apprenticeship in this local. Book 2 is journeyman who traveled to here from another local. Book 3 & 4 are guys who have qualified to work in our local but have not quite met all of the qualifications yet. If you can prove your hours and pass the journeyman wireman exam you can become book 1. When your out of work, you sign the books. you are then given a number. This is your place on the books. If your #20 that means there is 19 guys in front of you. The contractors then put in calls for how many guys they need as they need them. Each morning the calls start at book 1 # 1. Hope this kinda clears things up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts