Electrician Talk banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
industrial E,I&C
3,519 Posts
I built a PLC trainer at home, I used a refurb Micrologix 1200 off ebay with an analog card and RsLogix500 starter edition ($149). After 6 months on the road and lugging that thing from hotel to hotel I finally got to where I am comfortable writing small programs. Nothing extravagant. Small presses and forging hammers so far. I guess instead of mastering one thing I am more of a jack of all trades. Hence why I am wanting to dive into electronics. Plus the more I learn about one thing the more I learn how it integrates into everything Ive learned up to that point. I would love to go back to school to formally learn how to program but with two kids my time to them is more valuable.
I did the same thing but started with a plc 5 and borrowed the software. I play with electronics because i find it interesting. Repairing boards use to be a lot easier as each chip had a job so you could simply follow the lines and test the components. Now they use a programmable chip its not impossible to trouble shoot but probably not worth the effort.

On some of the older machines we figured out what the control boards did and have backward engineered it so the plc can take over (most were simple timer boards with basic inputs and outputs and the effort was worth it as the parts are nearly impossible to buy)

If you look at the boards that have been repaired you will generally spot where the repairs have been made. you may find that there is a known problem.

·
Super Moderator
7,181 Posts
About 80% of our engineering is embedded systems microcontrollers. The difference from one to the next is infinite.

If you want to get into PLCs and other logic controls, I suggest you learn on the systems used in the (sub)industry you want to work in.

·
Registered
14,472 Posts
To the OP... "One word: Plastics."

There are no ladder diagrams, no circuit diagrams.... and Hoffman says you can get laid by the boss's wife.

·
Conservitum Americum
8,838 Posts
This guy is a damn genius. He repairs about anything electronics from tubes to SMD. He even repairs his test equipment.

Start with the basics on power supplies where 80% of most electronic gremlins live.

Reactions: gpop and telsa

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
This guy is a damn genius. He repairs about anything electronics from tubes to SMD. He even repairs his test equipment.

Start with the basics on power supplies where 80% of most electronic gremlins live.

I didn’t click on the link but if that’s Mr Carlson’s Lab then I watch a ton of his videos. He’s extremely knowledgeable. I really like his video explaining diodes and tubes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
To the OP... "One word: Plastics."

There are no ladder diagrams, no circuit diagrams.... and Hoffman says you can get laid by the boss's wife.
I’m intrigued...I’ll google it but something tells me I won’t get what you’re talking about

·
Conservitum Americum
8,838 Posts
I didn’t click on the link but if that’s Mr Carlson’s Lab then I watch a ton of his videos. He’s extremely knowledgeable. I really like his video explaining diodes and tubes.
Look up the one on capacitors

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Get a hold of any books by Forrest M.Mimms. The guy's really good at explaining things through sketch's/drawings.

Reactions: splatz
21 - 32 of 32 Posts