Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Senior Moment
7,941 Posts
I use two types of bar oil, winter and summer, as farlsincharge wrote, the tack factor is what makes a proper bar oil.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
I dont use used oil, but I will use whatever oil is leftover. I have for quite a while.. no averse affects yet.

Pete

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
Pete m. said:
I dont use used oil, but I will use whatever oil is leftover. I have for quite a while.. no averse affects yet. Pete
How much wood do you cut a year? I average over ten cords.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
How much wood do you cut a year? I average over ten cords.
Maybe 4. I have a stihl 440 magnum and a stihl 170ms (I think thats right but I would have to go and look).

Anyhow... I haven't used a "dedicated" bar oil since I've owned the saws and I have had no ill effects.

Pete

·
Data Tech/Apprentice.
9,013 Posts
Been running motor oil surplus from my mechanic brother in our Stihls and Huskies for about 5 years, no ill effect.

Butchers use vegetable oil in their chainsaws.

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
chewy said:
Been running motor oil surplus from my mechanic brother in our Stihls and Huskies for about 5 years, no ill effect. Butchers use vegetable oil in their chainsaws.
Same here, corn oil in a electric chainsaw for quartering beef or moose.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
A 440 and a 170? Talk about extremes in power and quality. :laughing:

The hippie eco-friendly arborists love it too. :rolleyes:
They are both quality but one is to cut the big wood and one is to limb the big wood.

The 440 has a 5 HP motor... truthfully it's scary to run... at least for me.

The other one I can "one hand" which is great for trimming and pruning.

Pete

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the responses fellas. I just thought, why spend the money on bar oil since the oil is on the chain for a split second before it hits wood and gets wiped off. I always have a 5 gallon jug of used motor oil that I recycle, but if I could use it...why not?

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
Thanks for all the responses fellas. I just thought, why spend the money on bar oil since the oil is on the chain for a split second before it hits wood and gets wiped off. I always have a 5 gallon jug of used motor oil that I recycle, but if I could use it...why not?
Of course you could use it... your bar life may be a bit shorter because of it.

I don't use "used" oil... I use oil that is left over from oil changes and such.

Pete

Reactions: Ty Wrapp
1 - 20 of 42 Posts