Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
612 Posts
So in order for me to learn I have some questions. This installation is fine as long as the transformer is 6 ft above the panels in order to meet the dedicated space requirements? Unless the transformer only stuck out 6 inches past the front of the panels then it could be within the same dedicated space ?

·
256 Posts
So in order for me to learn I have some questions. This installation is fine as long as the transformer is 6 ft above the panels in order to meet the dedicated space requirements? Unless the transformer only stuck out 6 inches past the front of the panels then it could be within the same dedicated space ?
Ok.. Good afternoon.. Just returning from the tobacco shop..

mburtis, your @ 110.26(A)(3) ..Height of Working Space. The working space shall be clear and extend from the grade, floor or platform to a height of 2.0m (6 1/2 ft) or the height of the equipment, which ever is greater.

"-Within the height requirements of this section"-, other equipment or support structures, such as concrete pads, associated with the electrical installation and located above or below the electrical equipment shall be permitted to extend -not more than 150mm (6in.) beyond the front of electrical equipment-.

I've purposely highlighted the first "seven words" above.. -Within the height requirements of this section-..

What you're seeing in the above pic. (The Transformer).. This equipment is above and located "outside of the denoted height requirements".. *It's not located in that denoted equipment space..

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
612 Posts
I was thinking of the dedicated space requirement, 6 ft from top of equipment or structural ceiling, if Im remembering that right. I can never remember which one that 6 inch stick out requirement applies to.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
I was thinking of the dedicated space requirement, 6 ft from top of equipment or structural ceiling, if Im remembering that right. I can never remember which one that 6 inch stick out requirement applies to.
E) Dedicated Equipment Space.

All switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor control centers shall be located in dedicated spaces and protected from damage.
Exception:
Control equipment that by its very nature or because of other rules of the Code must be adjacent to or within sight of its operating machinery shall be permitted in those locations.
(1) Indoor.

Indoor installations shall comply with 110.26(E)(1)(a) through (E)(1)(d).
(a)
Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

·
256 Posts
Ok Bro.. Check out 110.26(E) Dedicated Equipment Space, (1) Indoors.

This is basically intended for Foreign Systems to the Electrical Equipment Installations. *Notice there, extending from the floor to a height of 6ft above the Equipment..

·
256 Posts
* Gentlemen..This has been stimulating..

*backstay, *you've got my attention sir, been watching your posting(s).. " Tipp'in me hat" & my respect to the knowledgeable. *Looking forward to reading your posting Sir..

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,862 Posts
Does the transformer need a shield for the bottom? Just in case a meteorite hits and the transformer shorts out and rains down sparks on the person not wearing his PPE and working on the panels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts