Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For brick houses? My house is brick on outer walls and drywalled inside looking for some creative ideas to rewire and upgrade don't feel like notching all the brick where existing switches and receptacles are.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
make it all wireless

Reactions: pete87

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Yeah, brick is tough.

Is it romex? Sometimes, even the old cloth romex is still in good shape. If ungrounded, use GFCI breakers.

If you need to add something, you only have that 3/4" gap that the furring provides.

A lot of times it comes down to running conduit on the exterior and drilling through and cutting in a box on the inside.

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Surface mount EMT. You could even paint the EMT if you didn't like the bare galvanized.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
220/221 said:
Yeah, brick is tough. Is it romex? Sometimes, even the old cloth romex is still in good shape. If ungrounded, use GFCI breakers. If you need to add something, you only have that 3/4" gap that the furring provides. A lot of times it comes down to running conduit on the exterior and drilling through and cutting in a box on the inside.
unfortunately knob and tube with bare splices in ceiling (good ol' tape and wirenut job) part of the reason im going for rewire fur out is a option but mor costly and time consuming than i want. Thought about surface mounting everything giving it a commercial look not sure how i would mount boxes on ceiling though for fans and cans etc. or would i pipe straight up into attic and drop pipe into back of box? If i went with the e.m.t. I would want the whole house done that way

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pete87 said:
Is the Brick exposed or lath and plaster or furred and rocked or 2x4 and rock ? Pete
Exposed or we wouldn't be discussing this lol the rest of the house is drywall ceiling and interior walls

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,077 Posts
Sell the house.
Get the new owner to hire you to rewire it

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Exposed EMT with Comp. fittings . Would look great in my opinion .

Pete
This would be my vote as well.
On brick or block, painted or unpainted EMT looks good. Also it makes it easy if you ever wanted to add anything in the future.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Why on earth would anyone consider surface mounting on the brick? Is the drywall glued to the back side of the brick? Surely there must be a void/air gap. If there isn't a gap, I would furr out the wall with some 2x2, build my own void, and re-drywall and tape. But there almost always a gap.

My vote, notch the drywall and patch, you're not living in a commercial business park.

·
Registered
752 Posts
4SQUARE said:
This would be my vote as well. On brick or block, painted or unpainted EMT looks good. Also it makes it easy if you ever wanted to add anything in the future.
I guess I'm the only one that thinks all exposed EMT would look horrible. I liked the other idea, sell the house, wait a couple weeks then tell the new owner how unsafe it is and rewire it.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
My vote, notch the drywall and patch, you're not living in a commercial business park.

So far its just you and me on notching drywall.

·
Registered
830 Posts
What about removing the baseboard, cutting the drywall to install wiring and then put new base over cut drywall. If there really isn't a void, install baseboard outlets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using electriciantalk.com mobile app

1 - 20 of 31 Posts