Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am an Estimator for a electrical sub-contracting company based in San Francisco, CA.

I was wondering if there were other fellow estimators that can share some knowledge on what type of databases (other than your companies own historical databases,) or just in general, how do you come up with your estimate?

Any information will help! I am trying to sharpen up my skills.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,330 Posts
It depends on what kind of work you do.
You can search online for "electrical estimating software" and see what comes up. Just reading what each one does will be informative.
It's expected that an estimator is intimately knowledgeable about field installations. Don't think that just because two places are 10' away on the plans means you're only needing 10' of cable. You might need pipe, couplings, hangers, penetrations, sleeves, fireproofing, up and down and around,...

·
Registered
902 Posts
I started out estimating with a clicker and marker, takeoff sheets, manual prices sheets, had a huge Trade Service book with material pricing, labor unit books, and hours of extending on calculators....
...to using software like Conest, AccuBid, Vision, McCormick and paperless environment and on-screen takeoff

...I've done it all....lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It depends on what kind of work you do.
You can search online for "electrical estimating software" and see what comes up. Just reading what each one does will be informative.
It's expected that an estimator is intimately knowledgeable about field installations. Don't think that just because two places are 10' away on the plans means you're only needing 10' of cable. You might need pipe, couplings, hangers, penetrations, sleeves, fireproofing, up and down and around,...
Hey Mike,

I use Trimble accubid estimating software. And yea I know what your saying about all the components that are required to install a simple receptacle. I'm interested to find out how other estimators go about..well "estimating"

We mostly do commercial/ industrial work and we throw in a residential here and there. I estimate using 4 methods. It all depends on the job. #1 is the software, #2 is using plans and visually taking off labor hours, #3 point pricing (price per item), #4 is by the sq. ft.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started out estimating with a clicker and marker, takeoff sheets, manual prices sheets, had a huge Trade Service book with material pricing, labor unit books, and hours of extending on calculators....
...to using software like Conest, AccuBid, Vision, McCormick and paperless environment and on-screen takeoff

...I've done it all....lol
Hey Slotz,

Are you still estimating now?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.