Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Licensed Electrician
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a little dillema. there are two rooms one is a shower and one is a poopin room. now there is one fantech with a Y splitter so each room has a vent. the customer wants the recessed lights in one room to come on with the fan, and the recessed lights in the other to come on with the fan. but they only want one switch in each room. i was thinkin of puttin in double pole single throw switches. because if i use single poles the lights will come on in both rooms. any other ideas let me know. if i didnt explain this right let me know

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
MMMMM.. I don't think that it's going to work. :no:

Who taught you to switch neutrals?:whistling2:
I think he drew it wrong. The diagram doesn't match the explanation.

However, he has the switched hot returning on the white (per written explanation) That's a violation. 200.7(C)(2)

·
53 GONE AT LAST!
690 Posts
You must have different electric in the US to the uk. According to my interpretation of the drawing as soon as you switch a feed to the light this also goes to the fan OK BUT it also goes back 'UK ---Backfeed' to the unswitched light switch combi directly to the lamp and thus iluminates it.

However it is 2330 and I have been to London and back and fixed 14 problems on site, and wife's car is busted and blocking the driveway and I can'tget my car out and........:censored:

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You must have different electric in the US to the uk. According to my interpretation of the drawing as soon as you switch a feed to the light this also goes to the fan OK BUT it also goes back 'UK ---Backfeed' to the unswitched light switch combi directly to the lamp and thus iluminates it.

However it is 2330 and I have been to London and back and fixed 14 problems on site, and wife's car is busted and blocking the driveway and I can'tget my car out and........:censored:
Stop the complaining!!!;) This guys got a dilema!
DPST, snake the wire.

·
DGFVT
2,532 Posts

I will send my tow truck over to fix your car problem.:jester:

View attachment 333

Carry On!

·
53 GONE AT LAST!
690 Posts
Just solved my dilema!!
Wife remebered hse had taken out a 'recovery to dealership' option the last time the car was poorly. It cost £15 [30$] for the year. It is now 2350h they have just uplifted the car back to the dealers [few uk dealers have tow trucks; all use operators] AND brought her a courtesy car f.o.c. for 3 days:thumbsup:
Tomorrow I will get the policy for all my vehicles [private and work]:)

Any Brits interested it is by Mondial and they don't advertise the free car

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Woops, fixed the diagram.

Hey, there was a question and I had an answer :thumbup:. If it really makes you feel better pull a 14-3 down to each switch and use a red instead of the white. You'll just have an extra conductor that you don't use.

Knock it all you want, it works, and works well :thumbsup:

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't see any difference between the pics.
The problem with your diagram is both lights come on with either switch (HO doesn't want it that way, read OP)

I like this question, and am gonna try to work on a diagram just for kicks, because the solution has already been given

And you don't need to use a color as a hot in a 'switch loop' configuration, so long as the white is used as the hot and the color is the switch leg.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Hmmm....maybe I read it wrong. The OP just says they want the light and the fan to come on at the same time, not seperately. But that makes sense.

Time to rethink. Thanks for the clarification Joe.

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
I think Joe has it.

BTW, where you been Joe? Busy I hope.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.