Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a job running heat tape on a church today,Got a few runs out and wanted to terminate What I've got done before dark and the long weekend.Our supply house salesman got us "everything we need" for the job dropped off a owners manual for the easy heat ADKS series.That is more a residential use cable.I look for the cord ends with built in moisture and temperature sensors like I seen in the manual.Nothing got kits made to terminate in a box.Fine so I called the SH and was told that the easy heat Sr Trace cable is the best stuff ever doesn't need a t-stat,"Just Hook to the breaker and let her buck the cable it's self knows where it's hot and cold.":blink:Looking at this stuff it looks like shielded UF cable no senors resistors.So now that I'm home I see it's "self regulating"
Anyone know how this works?IF it's even true I really just don't want to wire it and let her run wild all year long like the SH says.Or maybe should I ask if they will sell me smart THHN then

http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en.../SR-Trace-Comm-Roof-Gutter-Heating-Cables.pdf

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Started a job running heat tape on a church today,Got a few runs out and wanted to terminate What I've got done before dark and the long weekend.Our supply house salesman got us "everything we need" for the job dropped off a owners manual for the easy heat ADKS series.That is more a residential use cable.I look for the cord ends with built in moisture and temperature sensors like I seen in the manual.Nothing got kits made to terminate in a box.Fine so I called the SH and was told that the easy heat Sr Trace cable is the best stuff ever doesn't need a t-stat,"Just Hook to the breaker and let her buck the cable it's self knows where it's hot and cold.":blink:Looking at this stuff it looks like shielded UF cable no senors resistors.So now that I'm home I see it's "self regulating"
Anyone know how this works?IF it's even true I really just don't want to wire it and let her run wild all year long like the SH says.Or maybe should I ask if they will sell me smart THHN then

http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en.../SR-Trace-Comm-Roof-Gutter-Heating-Cables.pdf

This has a little more info but I don't think they want us to know exactly how it works. http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en...ating_cables/11001_095_r8_SR_prodinfo_web.pdf

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First time i have ever done one not very not as common up here like you would think.

·
Mad Skills
5,803 Posts

...seems to a difference of installation technique between manufacturers..
emerson said:
Because of the self-regulating feature of this cable, it
can be wrapped over itself
(overlapped), if necessary,
when installed on pipes, valves or flanges.
Thermon said:
3. Install heating cable on valves and pumps utilizing a looping
technique (this allows the valve or pump to be removed if
required). Crossing constant watt heating cable over itself
should be avoided.
Electric Heat Tracing Installation

What the OP has posted and what we recently installed are both self-regulating heat trace products.

BSX™ - Self-Regulating Heating Cable

We have just completed a job with appx. 5000' of heat trace installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts