Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We supply coal for steam generation. In our staff meeting last week, one of the owners(who is also the salesman and has direct contact with POCO buyers)said that he was told that the utilities had recently reduced the power they provided to their customers. He said that as far as he knew, it was unprecedented and rather dangerous.

When I saw this thread(bwefore our meeting), I thought it was a joke related to the superbowl.
http://www.electriciantalk.com/f17/conserve-electricity-65149/
But, afte4r hearing the information in our staff meeting, I began to wonder if bob new something we didn't.

After our meeting, our foreman over our prep plant told me about an incident that also has me thinking that they really did reduce the power.

We have a 100hp 480 motor that runs a crusher. History has been that if there is a jam or problem with the crusher, the motor will burn off the belts and continue to run- no heaters or breaker kicking out. Well, one particular day around the end of last month, the motor got very hot and kicked out the overloads(which it never does). The foreman figured he was loosing the motor. Well, it made it through the day and I was over there a few days later when he mentioned it to me. The motor was in use and I checked the amp draw and it was well below spec and even across the phases. Also, it was not hot.

I may be stating the obvious, but is our grid really in that bad of a shape?

Would it have been as simple as a voltage reduction?

What methods other than reduced voltage could they use to do this? Can they shift the angles of the phases somehow? I don't see how they could limit the amperage we draw without widespread hardware modifications, but what says you guys?

I know there have been brownouts in CA and other places. Is that basically what they did? If so, would it have been "
unprecedented" because of the location where it happened this time? Of course, I never heard any mention of it on the news.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New regulations happen every day, it seems. And, none of them good. But from my understanding, this was a temporary event.

But, if the generating capacity was reduced below the demand, would they just let the voltage drop?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Here is another one for you Scott.....The government is, at this very moment, updating their facilities with equipment that will still operate on very low voltage. They are in the process of testing the grid to see at what point where the general population will be crippled during the takeover. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Here is another one for you Scott.....The government is, at this very moment, updating their facilities with equipment that will still operate on very low voltage. They are in the process of testing the grid to see at what point where the general population will be crippled during the takeover. :rolleyes:
Do people actually believe this? lol

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I believe our gub'mit is funded to the extent of studying ways to thwart invasion by killer tomatoes (for those older sci-fi fans) ,complete with a 100,000 page report, doesn't make it an impeding reality .....

~CS~

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.