Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pros? Cons? Words of wisdom about them? I know the obvious things like they are lacking in cargo space and power. I suppose I'm most interested in how reliable they have been mechanically.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,194 Posts
Pros? Cons? Words of wisdom about them? I know the obvious things like they are lacking in cargo space and power. I suppose I'm most interested in how reliable they have been mechanically.
I keep two of them in the gang box in my van in case I need to carry one up the elevator at a job..........

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
I have had one since March of last year and have had no problems with it.

It stays pretty loaded down and I have about 80% of the tools and material I kept on my E250.

The only thing Ive noticed is my tires wearing fast. Currently I need to replace the front 2 tires, but the rear ones still look like new.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,194 Posts

It stays pretty loaded down and I have about 80% of the tools and material I kept on my E250.

The only thing Ive noticed is my tires wearing fast. Currently I need to replace the front 2 tires, but the rear ones still look like new.

When you change those front tires , have em take a good long look at the front brakes also.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

At least they're not as expensive as full sized truck tires.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Yeah, that is one drawback. But, I have an E250 right now that I absolutely hate and I want to get rid of it in favor of one of these.

I hated the E250 and the poor gas mileage it has

what type of work do you plan on doing out of it?

when I bought mine, it was to do small service calls and estimates, but now Im back to doing small rough ins and trims outs out of it as well.

If you plan on doing rough ins out of it, you'll need to plan your jobs well and learn there's no way to keep it clean and organized as well as youd like.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
If I was still hauling tools and material I'd just get a bigger van that runs on diesel.

If I needed something for running around to do estimates and check on guys and maybe carrier the odd screwdriver and light fixture.. transit connect would be good. It's basically a Ford Focus Wagon.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

when I bought mine, it was to do small service calls and estimates, but now Im back to doing small rough ins and trims outs out of it as well.

If you plan on doing rough ins out of it, you'll need to plan your jobs well and learn there's no way to keep it clean and organized as well as youd like.
All I do are small jobs so it would be fine for my purposes. I don't do new houses and the only roughing I do is for remodels and additions. I've always been good at planning and organizing material so that's no big deal for me. I keep very little material anyway, probably too much on my E250 right now as it is. As time goes on, I'm getting very used to the idea that "less is more".

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ford still makes the E series as a wagon. I wonder how many contractors will take all the seats out and use it for a work truck. :laughing:

I am so glad the E-series is history. What utter pieces of garbage those things were.

·
Estwing magic
27,432 Posts

Completely agree. I did a radical downsize and have never been so organized in my life. Material gets cleaned out almost daily and is replaced by the material required for the next day. I can plan my work in advance so it's surprisingly easy.

I originally thought I could wake up in the morning and decide whether to drive the truck or the smaller vehicle but it's not that easy. My tools are all tucked away nicely in the small vehicle. It's easier to just get in and drive.

I love my gas mileage and how easy it is to drive and park. One downside - nobody on the road respects small vehicles. When you drive a truck, people give you space.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Completely agree. I did a radical downsize and have never been so organized in my life. Material gets cleaned out almost daily and is replaced by the material required for the next day. I can plan my work in advance so it's surprisingly easy.

I originally thought I could wake up in the morning and decide whether to drive the truck or the smaller vehicle but it's not that easy. My tools are all tucked away nicely in the small vehicle. It's easier to just get in and drive.

I love my gas mileage and how easy it is to drive and park. One downside - nobody on the road respects small vehicles. When you drive a truck, people give you space.
What sort of gas mileage do you actually see?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 161 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.