Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked for a contractor as an apprentice, and am now laid of waiting to work. I was considering contacting them and offering to work for less if they gave me a foreman call. I know workers frown upon this, but would the superintendent?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I worked for a contractor as an apprentice, and am now laid of waiting to work. I was considering contacting them and offering to work for less if they gave me a foreman call. I know workers frown upon this, but would the superintendent?
...wait your turn on the bench like everyone else, nice troll thread tho:whistling2:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts

First......to my non-union brethern here on ET........THIS is the TRUE definition of a RAT!!! Offer to work for less so you can skip the list. RAT!!!

How exactly would an apprentice expect to get a foreman call?
As a union shop co-owner I know exactly how I would view that approach.

I know this has to be a troll thread but what the hell............I'm bored tonight.

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
henderson14 said:
Do what ever you have to do don't listen to these guys

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
"Everyone else" doesn't wait their turn. Some do, not everyone. There have been a lot of foreman callouts this year. A lot when I was working for a large contractor also.
Foreman calls are exactly that, foreman calls. He gets to "skip the book" if someone hires him as a foreman (usually 10-15% above jurneyman rate) for at least one year consecutively. This is because they know he has something to offer their shop that is worth paying foremans wages. It could happen to you in the future if you make a name for yourself as an honest hard worker. He is not cutting in line to lower the wage for everybody on the book.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First......to my non-union brethern here on ET........THIS is the TRUE definition of a RAT!!! Offer to work for less so you can skip the list. RAT!!!

I know this has to be a troll thread but what the hell............I'm bored tonight.
Yes. "Worked" in the past tense, not present. Present tense would be "work." I am no longer an apprentice.

·
Who you gonna call?
1,177 Posts
Rollie73 said:
First......to my non-union brethern here on ET........THIS is the TRUE definition of a RAT!!! Offer to work for less so you can skip the list. RAT!!! How exactly would an apprentice expect to get a foreman call? As a union shop co-owner I know exactly how I would view that approach. I know this has to be a troll thread but what the hell............I'm bored tonight.

Great troll thread. I agree with you. Ratty as they come. Since this is just a stupid -a** troll thread I might as well post this.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
That's a pretty image of that mouse on roids.
I suppose the thugs standing next to it, are Union members?

What a way to advertise to your audience. Stand around a blow up mouse with rabies and yell at people.

You folks need better marketing people.....

·
Registered
33,024 Posts

It might just me, be but that is hardly a productive response.

But as a union shop owner I would tell you have to get in line or look elsewhere I know being out of work is very tough, but I could not hire you.

Why hasn't Mr. Quick to close threads hit this one?

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
It might just me, be but that is hardly a productive response.

But as a union shop owner I would tell you have to get in line or look elsewhere I know being out of work is very tough, but I could not hire you.
Seriously Brian??? Productive response??? The guy is a RAT. I'm not looking to give a productive answer or trying to be politically correct. I don't give a single f*#k if I offended someone either.

The guy is talking about selling out the contract that he raised his right hand and swore to uphold.......same as the rest of brothers did when we were sworn in.....and at the same time jumping over the list of his fellow workers who may have been waiting for weeks/months or years.
I would have more respect for somebody who goes out and gets a non-union job while he waits on the list.

·
Florida resident
3,898 Posts
Rollie73 said:
Seriously Brian??? Productive response??? The guy is a RAT. I'm not looking to give a productive answer or trying to be politically correct. I don't give a single f*#k if I offended someone either. The guy is talking about selling out the contract that he raised his right hand and swore to uphold.......same as the rest of brothers did when we were sworn in.....and at the same time jumping over the list of his fellow workers who may have been waiting for weeks/months or years. I would have more respect for somebody who goes out and gets a non-union job while he waits on the list.
Unions make you swear in wow I had no idea. That's weird

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Unions make you swear in wow I had no idea. That's weird
I can say for sure that my local still follows the practice.
I'm not sure if all the others do as well.
We all (all the members of local 1852) stood and raised our right hands and swore to uphold the ideals, the values and the constitution of the IBEW.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Really? :laughing:

Well that's a little much.
Be that as it may, and I don't exactly disagree with you.........it still is the accepted practice at my local.
I know there was a time when it was the practice at all locals. Some of the other members would have to help me out on that answer.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.