Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we bought this house maybe 7 years ago and I knew the electrical sucked then. Garage is fed overhead with what looks like a cheap extension cord, and I'm amazed it hasn't burnt down yet. Lots of open splices in the basement, romex strung everywhere, some old cloth wire still there. Old 8 slot panel with the cover falling off. I need to upgrade the service and change out the panel so I can actually rewire the rest of the house. Then today I'm down in the basement and notice a fair size bare copper wire on the ceiling appearing to come from the panel that's not connected to anything. Looked in the panel and sure enough it appears to be the main gec, that I'm assuming was connected to the plumbing at somepoint. There is another tiny, like 1/4 inch diameter, ground rod drove under the house with a wire that runs into a box with a bunch of romex. You would think somebody who gets paid to work on this stuff would take a Saturday to make sure his house wasn't going to burn down. Anybody else live in a death trap?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Of course our houses electrical suckS. We are electricians. That’s how things work. I got my last house from a guy that was a Bell phone tech. The telephone wiring in That place was atrocious even though it all worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: oldsparky52

·
Registered
Electrician
3,563 Posts
My wife has several electricians on speed dial, but I told them I would fire them if they ever answer!!

·
Registered
Electrician with several licenses in several states
26 Posts
It's common, the mechanic's car needs work, painter's house needs paint, etc... but honestly I've gone over board with the electrical in my houses. Sit on any couch in my house and you can turn the living room lights and the outside lights on and off, and dim, without even stretching. Bedrooms too.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
I've needed several more receps in the garage for years including a couple 240's for the plasma, compressor, dedicated for an air dryer, big pile of parts awaits including a larger sub but instead I move one 6-50 cord around and/or run my welder on the service truck for extra 240 lol.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
291 Posts
It's common, the mechanic's car needs work, painter's house needs paint, etc... but honestly I've gone over board with the electrical in my houses.
This.
Either its bad and we have never bothered to fix it, or its done over spec cause we can!

I had no outside receptacle on my house. I added one very properly (minus permit!), but on the other hand, my basement stairs 3 way (2nd switch is at the other end of basement by walk out exterior door) was done previously with a single conducter white RW90 added from the 2nd switch box up to one of the light boxes in the open ceiling... I cringe every time I think of how they possibly wired it, but in 5 years I've never fixed it.

Sometimes when you know how to deal with things, you put up with stuff because you know when it's truly dangerous or not, and so we tolerate it.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,987 Posts
Changing my own light bulbs seem to be my kryptonite. I get the evil eye from my wife every time google tells her a lamp is unavailable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nobody wants to come home from an 8-10 hour shift and start tearing their own place up. Do the hotwater tank, stove and fridge have power? Good.. then I can shower, dinner should be ready and the beer cold.
Really though my place was a rat trap and it took a few years to get under control. Built in the 1870s and neglected ever since. Wiring had been either chewed up or baked to a crumbly mess. Plumbing was leaking at half the fittings, well was shot, roof tin flapping in the wind, and this year my septic field finally failed.
Pick your battles I guess. And keep the beer cold. :D

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,584 Posts
I bought my house off an electrician. I didn’t know him. He was a city guy. He never did residential. What a wreck!

He supposedly rewired the house and changed the service. What he did was replace the panel to a 200a with a 100a drop. “All you have to do is upgrade the outside”. The panel didn’t have one 15a breaker, because he “rewired the house”. There was a 1” conduit that wrapped around the basement foundation wall. He cut every Romex and old cloth BX that went into the basement and spliced it to #12s back to the panel. I think the closest box to the panel had two extension rings on it. The conduit was packed with #12s, no derating. Most of the wires in the walls were still 15ga.

His plumbing and carpentry work was just as bad. He had shut off valves on the waste lines incase the septic backed up! There was no chance of that. When he built the detached garage, he ripped out the leach field. He extended the 4” waste pipe out past the garage, and it spilled out into the woods! That was an unexpected extra 6 grand a few months after I moved in. I couldn’t go after anyone. I bought the house As-is, and the home inspector was only liable up to the $300 extra I paid for the septic inspection. The new concrete driveway, that he did himself, made a great base for an asphalt driveway. What a shame. I could go on forever.

I never fixed anything except adding a seepage pit. I was on a big savings push incase the economy tanked. After five years it was time to move up or knock it down. We liked the neighborhood, so we knocked it down and started over.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,971 Posts
Anybody else live in a death trap?
You're worrying over nothing. A good electrician will have that fixed up in no time. :p

I own an old farmhouse in another province. Every year I go down to do some deer hunting there. Every year I look at the electrical and think I should clean it up. Every year I shoot a deer and return home after doing nothing to fix any of it. Well, actually one year I replace the electrical to the laundry/sump pump.

Maybe when I retire......

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
951 Posts
Every place I've ever lived has had subpar electrical IMO. Sometimes I say I'll make improvements, other times it's a rental I dont plan on staying at long. In almost every case the service has been undersized and too few circuits.

My current place is a 3 story house with garage (no basement) and all the lights on the first and second stories are on the same circuit, as well as all the non kitchen outlets. If it werent for LEDs I'd be tripping breakers left and right.

All of the bathrooms, outside outlets, and garage are on a single GFCI breaker. First thing I did when I moved in was add two more 20 amp circuits to the garage. Otherwise I havent touched this and it's super annoying that both bathrooms go out if a single Christmas light strand fails.

Pretty much every room had a ceiling fan on a plastic box. That I fixed.

I talked to the family of the guy that built it, and they said the electrician that wired it was nuts.

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. My house was originally built in 1948 and there is literally one receptacle on each wall in each room. Guess that's why they only needed 8 circuits for the whole house. I started remodeling the kitchen several years ago and rewired it with all the proper circuits, but I didn't have the money to do the panel so I pulled a bunch of extra wire and coiled it up and spliced into the old existing circuits downstairs, figured when I did the panel I could actually seperate them proper. I've yet to do the panel though. Yesterday I noticed the cable going to the washer, from the panel side it's black overall covering then runs across the basement ceiling and comes out the other side with white overall covering, hmm wonder what kind of sketchy splice is going on up there.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,584 Posts
I talked to the family of the guy that built it, and they said the electrician that wired it was nuts.
My neighbors said the guy I bought my house off of was nicknamed Crazy Eddie. He was originally from an island that’s a US possession.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,672 Posts
I wired my house and I have yet to have an issue after 35 years. To be honest I have changed less than 5 light bulbs in those 35 years except the few I changed to LED in the last 5 years.
The voltage here is like 114v so it is great for light bulbs.. nothing to do with my wiring. Until 5 or 6 years ago I also had the same gfci on the bathroom circuit and it still worked. It was getting yellow so I changed it.

I think everything is compliant too...haha

1 - 20 of 64 Posts