Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Swimmer
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever seen one of these or know exactly where it goes?
It fell out of a commercial metering panel when I disconnected one of the hots that ouputs to the breaker panel.

Several years ago, I worked on a brand new (installed by homeowner) meter breaker panel combo. A phase was missing. I removed the main breaker and one of these fell out. I re-installed the main (minus the plastic thingy because I didn't know where it went) and everything worked. This panel has been working fine for several years.

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Utility uses them all the time to shut off power. Just slip them over the meter stabs and it it back in, put lock ring on. No power for you.

Used mostly on multi-meter banks where you can't shut the whole thing down.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
Anybody ever seen one of these or know exactly where it goes?
It fell out of a commercial metering panel when I disconnected one of the hots that ouputs to the breaker panel.

Several years ago, I worked on a brand new (installed by homeowner) meter breaker panel combo. A phase was missing. I removed the main breaker and one of these fell out. I re-installed the main (minus the plastic thingy because I didn't know where it went) and everything worked. This panel has been working fine for several years.

The poco here used to install these on a service that was temporarily disconnected for lack of payments etc .

That way they could re-install the meter without re-energizing the service .

Maybe they still do use them , I am not sure , because I have been out of the loop for a few years !

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Around here they just **** the meter to the side to disconnect it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
That's what they put on the bottom tabs of the meter to disconnect you. The top tabs are connected to the line side, so the meter still reads and, if electronic, displays. Linemen usually just toss 'em in the meter pan when they're removed as they're only supposed to be used once.

'Round here, it's called 'booting the meter'. When done, a red seal is installed to signify disconnection due to non-payment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts